Do I need to use bonding plaster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

What a great find this site is; wish I'd sussed it out ages ago, it would have saved a lot of grief!

I have a small area in my utility room that I need to plaster. It presently consists of well-adhered plaster, some of which is painted, and has a few patch repairs, but is generally fairly level, However it has an exposed corner with no render or plaster beading, and as a result bits of the corner have broken away.

Going by advice I've found on previous posts on the 'plastering' part of the forum, I was proposing to diamond key the old plaster, apply a 5:1 water/PVA coat and then another coat just before plastering.
Assuming this is a satisfactory method, what I don't know is:

(i) should I apply a coat of bonding plaster and one of multi-finish when it's dry;

(ii) should I use a render bead (because it's deeper than a plaster bead therefore allowing 2 coats) or just a plaster bead; and

(iii) what's the best way of attaching the bead - nails, grab adhesive or plaster.

Sorry if these questions are a bit dumb, but I fancy having a go on this small area (which will in any case be partly screened by cupboards), so any advice would be really much appreciated.

Thanks a lot

Sponsored Links
sorry is there any chance of a pic i cnt seem to get my head into gear tonight.
you said the area you wanted to repair has no plaster on it but then said bout diamond key on exsisting, its probery not the way youve worded it more, as i said me being a bit lathargic tonight so a pic might help me sort it out

Sorry JR, the post is a bit ambiguous. The wall is already plastered but it's a bit rough and the exposed corner is poor, so I thought I'd bead the corner and skim over the existing plaster, but am unsure what plaster to use and whether I can get away with one coat of plaster and, if so, what type of plaster I should use (the wall will then be papered and partly covered by cupboards).

Thanks bud

Sponsored Links
ok i think ive got the measure of it :confused: here goes haha. yes to the corner bead then one coat of waterd down pva let it dry over night then a second and when its goin tacky just simply skim it over with multi finish i would two coat it as thats a proper job but its up to you if your covering it with units and paper its entirly your call

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back