Do I negotiate on price?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I have had a quote from a painter decorator to put up some wallpaper and paint some walls and ceilings.

Do I negotiate on price or should I accept the quote for what it is?

As I was once told if you bring a tradesman down on price they will fell almost cheated out of that money hence may do that much less work?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Some companies almost expect you to haggle like a market in Marrakesh :D Double glazing, Bathrooms, Kitchens, New and used cars, are examples, but sole traders who are doing it themselves tend to quote a price and expect to either have it accepted or not.

I used to quote a fair price and stick to it, for my sins I spent a short time working for a sales company (till my conscience could take it no longer ;) ) the motto was "Be proud of your price" well that was certainly not the case working for them! but I did think it was a good motto if you feel you are quoting fairly, and customers that wanted to chip away at my quote were politely rejected.

The best way is as usually suggested, get three quotes then you should get a feel for the going rate. Remember the time spent doing the job is only part of the story, he/she spends time estimating and sending a quote obtaining materials traveling to and from the job and quite possibly returning if the customer has a question about the job.

I would look at the tradesman and think am I happy with this individual working in my house and pick him on that basis as long as the rate is about par for the course.

Hope that helps
footprints

As footprint says, get at least 3 quotes from professional P&D's and you will get a good average but don't forget the cheapest is not always the best. When they come round try and guage your feelings on them. Would you feel happy if they came and did your work. Try and get references but this is not always easy.
Ask questions about the quote and materials. Visit Painters pitstop / bib n brace forums to see what the pro's are using material wise, if I'm suppling the paint etc I always use Johnstones, Bedec, Gliddens. Or little green, Mythical paint for extra quality products. etc I never price/buy the retail B&Q/homebase/Dulux stuff so the price is usually higher, but your getting quality paint.
Remember This is our job and we have to make a living, of course their are P&D's who will take the p*ss. Would I negotiate?? basicly no. If you wanted to buy your own cheaper materials then I would make sure you agree that I would be using and inferior product and the finish might not be as good.
But first get 3/4 qoutes and see what your gut feeling is. If they supply references all the better, but go and look at them and ask questions.

Sponsored Links
Do the negotiation on your rate, observe if he could give you the quote that fits your budget and let him know how much you are willing to pay for the wallpaper and wall paintings. Be honest and have your conversation as you are interested to get his service.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back