painters and decorators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Looking to get a painter/decorator in to wallpaper and paint different parts of my hall/landing/stairway.

The hallway had had 4 different paint colour on it over the years, should a good painter and decorator sand prior to painting? the wall itself is only 3 years old but it has had a few colours on it. Also my edging is not the best some bits go onto the ceiling, does a painter tend to paint the edges white first to start a fresh cut in line or should this be done prior to them coming?

Also the wall being wallpapered is pretty high as it is on the staircase, does this mean I can expect a slightly poorer job as it may be a bit of a balancing act?

The last time I got someone in to paint my bedroom, he must have done one coat and left it as you can see roller marks over most of the walls, almost like it needs another coat, and he only painted for an hour tops so didn't have time to dry for a second one.

Sponsored Links
It doesn't matter how many colours have been on the walls before, there should be no set number of coats to go back on. It should have however many coats it takes to make the surface nice and solid looking whether that is two coats or four coats.
Prior to painting the walls they should have a gentle sand down to de nib it.
All painting should be done prior to the wallpapering.
Regardless of how high the landing wall is, it should still be to the same standard as if it were at normal height. You should not expect anything less due to the height.
Using a roller will always produce a "rolled finish" but if its done right with the right amount of coats then this should look nice and pleasing to the eye.

You should get a Quote or estimate first and that should detail what the procedure and applications of paint and what materials will be involved, its then using the decorators experience as to whether you need extra coats of paint or more detailed work, if you are not satisfied. ( extra on the bill of course).

You should expect a reasonable job with the landing wall, wallpapers differ in quality, and how they are applied, you are choosing the paper ask the decorator his opinion of quality and pattern, There is a certain very popular range of wallpaper which relies on its trendy name for its sales, it is dreadful to hang, ( when wet it is the quality of tissue paper) I advise customers to avoid it at all costs ( but they still go ahead!)
Again are the walls straight, are you thinking of vertical stripes on the wallpaper, nothing looks worse in a long hallway drop than wallpaper with perfectly vertical lines and a wall/walls that are out of vertical.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back