Do I really need new rads or am I being had?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there - thanks for reading this - your advice would be most welcome.

After taking a couple of quotes I hired a small firm to take on the plumbing. For the central heating they got hold of a Corgi guy (who really seems to know his stuff) however he has just told us that we need to replace all our radiators due to the fact we are putting in a combi boiler - increased pressure in the 22mm pipes.

I get that TRVs would be difficult to put onto these old rads and that our water pressure will be much higher than before (about one and a half bars) however I'm a bit strapped for cash right now since our work has gone way over budget. I'd rather wait until next year and I can afford nice rads and do the job properly. For now I'd like to keep the old rads, not put in TRVs and just connect the boiler.

The house was built in '61 and is very sturdy. I guess my question is .... is this really necessary or am I getting worked over with the "fear of the unknown" ... being a woman and not knowing much about this subject? I accept that the Corgi dude needs to commission the boiler ... but do I really need new rads?

Many thanks
:D

Sponsored Links
Without seeing your rads I cannot comment.

All I can say is that new rads and new boiler is the best combination as they can be cleaned together and full responsibility rests with the installer.

Even if you have to borrow the money now it might be cheaper than dealing with problems with rads bursting at the increased pressure and cleansing problems later.

Tony

oh what a suprise let's flog the mug a powerflush :rolleyes:

exept it aint the answer to sod all

apart from the git that is taking your hard earned off you

you are a charlatan glazier you and your mates give this trade a bad name :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
oh what a suprise let's flog the mug a powerflush :rolleyes:

exept it aint the answer to s** all

apart from the git that is taking your hard earned off you

you are a charlatan glazier you and your mates give this trade a bad name :rolleyes:

Where did he mention powerflush then?

It's the risk you take i suppose, they may very well be ok, or they may not, can't blame the installer for recommending them given there age.

I doubt he's trying to rip you off, just ensure that you are aware of what problems may arise if you don't. Seem's sensible to me.

Just bear in mind that if you don't change them and they do pop it will not be the responsibility of the installer and could cost a more in the long run.

Sam

I always tell the customer to wait and see if they have any problems with the old rads once the new boiler is up and running.

If the system is power flushed then this is more likely to show up any corrosion fault in the rads rather than just the pressure increase.

If you takr the theory to the extreme then you should have new larger rads so the new boiler can heat the rooms at a lower flow temperature to keep it in condensing mode longer.

Its your money, so you take your choice, but if you get a leak in a rad then it's replacement will be chargeable, no fault of the installer.

yer wan't to come up to the frozen north and try and earn a living

Frozen my arse, it's no different to any where else in the UK cept it's full of northerners bangin on about how cold, hard to make a living,how nice the ale is, whilst living there - if it's so cold oop north surely there would be more work :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Simple answer actually. Isolate the old boiler, pressure the system up to 5 bar and see what happens. Personally, I would replace any radiator that shows signs of corrosion near the threads or on the folds. Most valves that age will show signs of deterioration and should be replaced anyway as it is unlikely they will survive another 10 or 20 years. Compulsory or not, trvs when used correctly add comfort and safe money.

Thank heavens this is a friendly site according to rule 2a, as has been pointed out to me. I'm surprised the thread hasn't been locked, or is kevplumb still a mod and can say anything with impunity? This sort of remark is usually seen on General Discussion.

But then as cowboyplumber says

No change there then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back