Getting new boiler - do i really need new radiators?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello - let me tell you some background - our house is about 25 years old and our baxi conventional boiler and rads are the same age. Its a 3 bed semi. The baxi has just packed in - I think the main valve is knackered.

Also - important point - we have a baby on the way (july31) so could ideally do with no more hassle than neccessary and our budget is tight!

Right then: We want a new boiler - presumably combi, condensor. We've had 2 quotes - one said need new pipes and rads too. The other said just new rads. both say rads will be corroded and likely to leak if pressurised and will refuse to guarantee boiler if we leave existing rads as sludge may damage boiler.

Would anyone suggest its ok to leave rads (so we dont have to do painting in every room in the house: new rads are smaller)? Or should we just bite the bullet and be skint and busy.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Why not get your existing boiler repaired and then start saving up for a new one when you can afford it?

There are a few condensing boilers which can work on open vented systems and avoid pressurising the rads.

Tony

Unless the pipes and rads look gash you are being had over. The system has to be flushed cos its the rules so sludge is not an issue, in addition the warantee is carried by the manufacturer not the installer. Wake up smell the beans and phone a few more.

WHy "presumably combi"?? Don't jump unless you need the space.
And I'd also ask what's wrong with your boiler? Gas valve? May be no big deal. What model is it?

New rads.... well... if you're being asked £400 to power flush the system then do look at the rads and ask yourself if new ones would be better. A new set might cost less than the flush, though there is the fitting of course. But it's not highly technical work.
Mighty Fernox only claim you can get "up to 80%" of the grot out of your system so you leave maybe a third behind...
What colour's the water you have now - it may not be too bad...
Some 25 year old rads look just like new ones.
Lots of arguments and options in several directions.

Sponsored Links
WHy "presumably combi"?? Don't jump unless you need the space.
And I'd also ask what's wrong with your boiler? Gas valve? May be no big deal. What model is it?

Hear hear.

Dave.

(ill do the gaskets if your within 50 miles of south beds)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back