New system recommended

One other question. Since the plumber left, I seem to notice the pump is working overtime.

the cylinder is above the baxi condensing boiler.

while it’s heating the HW, it seems to be almost constantly on.

I may be noticing this now I’m thinking about it. Would the pump be being used almost constantly while it’s filling the HW tank?

this wild make sense to me, perhaps I’ve just never noticed it whizzing away in the airing cupboard

Sponsored Links
i think this is a step too far for me mate. Flooring yes, basic stuff like taking out and plastering/boarding fireplaces - yes. Fitting sinks and toilets. Yes. Sockets, yes.

plumbing in a new system, think I will let the pros do this. I have a kid running round here too, bit too much!

I suppose I could have a go at putting the pipes in, but I would need to spend hours and hours learning it.

Makes the 4k seem reasonable doesn't it :rolleyes:

I may be noticing this now I’m thinking about it. Would the pump be being used almost constantly while it’s filling the HW tank?

this wild make sense to me, perhaps I’ve just never noticed it whizzing away in the airing cupboard

It may have 'pump overrun'. The pump runs to extract the last bit of heat from the boiler.

Makes the 4k seem reasonable doesn't it :rolleyes:

Hey, I don’t blame the plumber. He needs to pay for his yacht, his mistress and his gold encrusted white van.

I just think the government should pay. Heating systems should be on the NHS.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn’t have a cylinder with a combi would I?
OK, I was going by your original post referring to a conventional system, hadn't noticed the one about a possible combi. But it seems the existing boiler is OK so I'd have thought sorting the system out would be better than changing to a combi.

OK, I was going by your original post referring to a conventional system, hadn't noticed the one about a possible combi. But it seems the existing boiler is OK so I'd have thought sorting the system out would be better than changing to a combi.

well the issue is: I have a baxi back boiler with electric fire front (don’t want this long term it’s ugly)

plumber says the rads are old and rusted.
Says even if you change rads you still have crap in the boiler itself and in the pipes. So might get the same problem.

so kind of said you can change rads and he can flush the pipes but still might have the same issue.

the other issue is I am fitting new flooring. Given eventually I would prefer not to have a crap old electric fire in my dining room, I would need to change one day anyway.

My head is spinning on this and I don’t understand it well enough to really consider the options.

The other thing to mention is the heating system is terrible - never gets above 20 degrees in the winter.

so obv the rads need changing….the bit I am struggling with is he said that without new pipes/boiler, you may just get the same problem as the rust crap is prob in the boiler, tank and pipes. Is this true?

The more I think of it: the poor performance, the fact i am doing flooring now which I don’t want to rip up, the ugly baxi fire in dining room and the other thing - I could do with space in the airing cupboard…the more I think about it the more a new install seems appealing.

then on the other hand. My boiler works (poorly, but it works). Could I just flush it all as best I can, put on rads and just deal with it if I have to get the laminate up?

this is doing my head in

Hey, I don’t blame the plumber. He needs to pay for his yacht, his mistress and his gold encrusted white van.

I just think the government should pay. Heating systems should be on the NHS.

You're welcome on my yacht anytime sonny. Just don't be surprised if we never meet on it coz it's just so damn big! Have to inform NASA whenever it's on the move. :whistle:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back