Do I really need a room thermostat?

Sponsored Links
yes the timer opens them or closes them depending if that circuit is due on or not.

Stat on each would give the boiler an interlock as required by building regs and save money.

depending on the boiler make you could add a proprietary controller and an out door sensor...this varys the flow temperature through out the day matching heat generated to heat required, as opposed to running the whole thing too hot waiting for the TRVs and two ports to shut down

Sponsored Links
Also I was thinking of putting the room stat in the living room/dining room as this is the main room used obviously as opposed to the hall were it was in our last house. I would then allow the rad stats to control the other less used rooms. The thinking is if the lounge was up to temp and shut off the boiler when other rooms werent quite warm enough this wouldnt be such a big deal.

Would there be any issue having a room stat in the room where the two rads there also have rad stats?

We also have a solid fuel fire in the lounge which we use all the time.
Having the room stat in the same room as the solid fuel fire is not a good idea as the rest of the house will never get up to temperature!

Much better to have the room stat somewhere else and let the TRVs in the lounge control the rads.

If you have a TRV on the rad where the wall stat is located you need to set the TRV to Max. This ensures that the wall stat is in control.

You negate a lot of the advantage of a zoned system not controlling it with thermostats the best solution really is to fit a thermostat in a sensible place to control each valve. You already have separate timing control for each zone which is good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back