Do I need a Room Thermostat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of replacing my old Boiler control.

Its a two channel type with a room thermostat on the Central Heating pump circuit.

The room thermostat which lives in the hallway is ancient, and I am wondering if its still needed? All my rads have thermostat controls.

Surely the heating system will work fine with just the Central Heating coming on and off at the set times of the day with the rad thermostats controlling the room temperatures?

Do houses actually still rely on the central thermostat control?

The reason I am wondering is the hallway never gets as warm as I would like the sitting room to be anyway, so surely having the theromostat cranked right up to maximum to keep the heating on is pointless, and I may as well just hardwire the Central Heating to stay on during Heating periods?

Sponsored Links

Its a two channel type with a room thermostat on the Central Heating pump circuit.

The room thermostat which lives in the hallway is ancient, and I am wondering if its still needed? All my rads have thermostat controls.
Yes you do need a room thermostat, but you should not have a rad thermostat on the radiator in the same room/hall.

Surely the heating system will work fine with just the Central Heating coming on and off at the set times of the day with the rad thermostats controlling the room temperatures?
Yes, the room temperatures will be controlled by the rad stats, but the boiler will keep going until it is up to the temperature set on the boiler thermostat, which may be long after the rad stats have closed down. The room thermostat is then acting as a "boiler interlock". If you do not have a combi boiler, you should also have a HW cylinder thermostat to turn the boiler off when the DHW is up to temp.

Rely on may not be the right words but, Yes, houses do have room thermostats for the reason given above. A Boiler Interlock is stipulated in the documents published to accompany the latest Building Regulations..

The reason I am wondering is the hallway never gets as warm as I would like the sitting room to be anyway, so surely having the theromostat cranked right up to maximum to keep the heating on is pointless, and I may as well just hardwire the Central Heating to stay on during Heating periods?
It sounds as if the radiator in the hall is not large enough for the space it has to heat. Is there a rad on the landing upstairs or is the hall rad expected to heat the hall and landing?
Have your rads been balanced so they give the correct output?
As long as the Room thermostat is the last thing to shut off, it does not matter if the hall is cooler than the lounge.
You could always invest in a wireless programmer/thermostat and put it in the lounge (remove TRV from lounge rad) and put a TRV on the rad in the hall.

Regulations state that you need a roomstat, personally I find it a load of horses*it. Buy a boiler with an integral stat & have Trv`s on your rads, if your rads are switched off your boiler won`t fire up. End of story. ;)

Regulations state that you need a roomstat, personally I find it a load of horses*it. Buy a boiler with an integral stat & have Trv`s on your rads, if your rads are switched off your boiler won`t fire up. End of story. ;)

So you suggest that the OP should spend several thousand pounds instead of maybe £100? Do you work for BG by any chance?

Sponsored Links

Don't all boilers have integral stats! Do you mean an integral flow switch?.
Please post details of such boilers, I'm interested.
How does the stat know the rads are off, what stops the boiler cycling?

Simond, do you find it a tad scary and worrying some of the advise given to posters, who clearly have limited knowledge. Re: the roomstat swop post. No one appears to check or verify the advise being given

[quote="heatingman";p="829117

Don't all boilers have integral stats! Do you mean an integral flow switch?

Nope, I mean a boiler witha big dial on the front allowing you to turn on or off the heating via the boiler stat.

Please post details of such boilers, I'm interested.

Baxi, Worcester, Glowworm Valliant it`s actually quite modern now.

How does the stat know the rads are off, what stops the boiler cycling?

Usually turning down the thermostatic radiator valves informs the boiler that no heat is longer required, would you like a big picture, you are obviously stupid.

Bamber, are you here just to cause a bit of controversy.

What acts as the interlock?

The room thermostat which lives in the hallway is ancient, and I am wondering if its still needed?

He doesn't have to have one - but he already has one and this has to be a good thing. Or do you think otherwise, Bamber G?[/quote]

Ok the op does not have to have a room-stat. But it is not a very efficent way of running heating. Is not good for boiler and does not come up to building regs.

Surely posters come here for quality advise not just yes/no answers

Usually turning down the thermostatic radiator valves informs the boiler that no heat is longer required, would you like a big picture, you are obviously stupid.

This information between thermostatic valves and boiler, is it some sort of telepathy or wireless? or does the boiler just know these things.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back