Room thermostat knowledge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Main 24 combi boiler. All my rads are fitted with regulator/thermostat valves. I also have a room thermostat in my hallway in between the doors to my living room and dining room.
My questions are :

1) How do I know if my thermostat is working in conjunction with my boiler?
2) What temp should it be set to?
3) Does it affect the temp setting for the rads on my boiler?
4) Is it cost effect to have the heating on during the day being controlled by the thermostat?

Apologies for the lameness of the questions but I know nothing about central heating other than how to bleed rads!!

Sponsored Links
1. Call for heat on your timer then turn it up, does the boiler come on? turn it down, does the boiler go off? if yes its working.

2. How warm do you want your house?

3. Flow temperature is set on the boiler, room stat wont change that.

4. Heating is always controlled by the thermostat, its not cost effective to heat an empty house.

1.With that boiler its going to be a simple on/off thermostat, so try turning it right up and checking that the boiler is firing. ie. lights on/noise/heat into the radiator system. Then turn it right down and the boiler should shut down.
The thermostat should be set to whatever gives you a comfortable temperature in the coldest part of the house, then you can adjust the thermostats on the radiators down lower perhaps in the bedrooms.

2.The actual set temperature on the thermostat dial is dependent on many different factors, I would start on 21 deg C and try it for a few days and then adjust up or down.

3.Leave the flow temperature on the boiler, it should have been set by the installer to give the correct amount of heat output from your radiators. If it seems wrong, ask your service engineer when you next have it serviced.

4.If you are in and want the heating on during the day then yes it is how your system is designed to operate. Most people have it on for a few hours in the morning and then in the evening. Time the heating to suit your type of house, lifestyle and budget.

1, 2, 3, 4, as above.

5: You should not let your house cool more than an few degrees below whatever your comfort temperature is, otherwise you waste energy topping it back up when you need it.

Magic minimum off temperature should be 15/16 degrees.

There is a trade off. But that is why programmable thermostats are better.

Sponsored Links
Right I've worked out that my room thermostat definately works and I've not touched the flow dial on my boiler.
My next point is on relation to my rad valves. They are currently all set on 3 (out of 5). Is this right or should they be higher/lower?

Right I've worked out that my room thermostat definately works and I've not touched the flow dial on my boiler.
My next point is on relation to my rad valves. They are currently all set on 3 (out of 5). Is this right or should they be higher/lower?

whatever you feel is comfortable

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back