Do I need a Room Thermostat?

cheers for the advice guys,

I will reconnect the room thermostat. will probably replace it with a newer digital one, i expect its not that accurate is it?

Yes, the rad in the hallway has a thermostat on it, and there isn't one on the upstairs landing, as you say, its probably not sufficient to heat the hallway.

Should I just turn the hallway rad thermostat up to full then, to allow the hallway temperature to be controlled by the room thermostat?

Sponsored Links
take the head of the trv which is in the same area as roomstat, if you have a decorator cap fit that fot asthetics. If the stat is old it wil be out of callibration.
The existing wiring might not be up to standard (it may be using earth as switch or N) so replace with a digital unit with batt back up. Basic electrical knowledge is a requirement for replacing stat.

[quote="heatingman";p="829173

This information between thermostatic valves and boiler, is it some sort of telepathy or wireless? or does the boiler just know these things.

Hilarious. :LOL: The boiler knows when it is not in demand as when rads are closed down but most of the time it relies on it`s phsycic ability.

Yes I get your point, but please explain how the boiler knows its services are no longer required.

Sponsored Links
thanks heatingman. the room thermostat is 4 core and using yellow for switch, red for livefeed, black for neutral and green for earth. So should be simple case of just replacing.

Great, thats all good. just up to you how much control you want. Simple on/off at set temp, or something bit more fancy with time and temp control settings. Honeywell Chromatherm is a nice bit of kit.

Yes I get your point, but please explain how the boiler knows its services are no longer required.

Usually by not having any rads on. Or asking for Hot water. These are the tell-tale signs of a boiler doing nothing.

Regulations state that you need a roomstat, personally I find it a load of horses*it. Buy a boiler with an integral stat & have Trv`s on your rads, if your rads are switched off your boiler won`t fire up. End of story. ;)

Don't all boilers have integral stats! Do you mean an integral flow switch?.
Please post details of such boilers, I'm interested.
How does the stat know the rads are off, what stops the boiler cycling?

The Baxi 133 HE and its range of boilers has an integral flow switch and can have TRVs all around.

[quote="heatingman";p="829117

Don't all boilers have integral stats! Do you mean an integral flow switch?

Nope, I mean a boiler witha big dial on the front allowing you to turn on or off the heating via the boiler stat.

Please post details of such boilers, I'm interested.

Baxi, Worcester, Glowworm Valliant it`s actually quite modern now.

How does the stat know the rads are off, what stops the boiler cycling?

Usually turning down the thermostatic radiator valves informs the boiler that no heat is longer required, would you like a big picture, you are obviously stupid.

Needs a bypass valve unless the makers say otherwise.

Thanks drivel, forgot about big baxi, only ever used twice, both taken out as were sh*t and poxi messed about.

Bamber, how does the boiler (without a flow switch) know the rads are turned of?
Try to answer the question without hurling insults, back up your statement/claim with some knowledge.

Thanks drivel, forgot about big baxi, only ever used twice, both taken out as were sh*t and poxi messed about.

Bamber, how does the boiler (without a flow switch) know the rads are turned of?
Try to answer the question without hurling insults, back up your statement/claim with some knowledge.

The boiler requires a minimum flow, so an auto by-pass has to be set up to provide this. Once the rads are all closed down the boiler must be switched out. A flow switch must be fitted "after" the by-pass. And the pump "permanently" on. The flow switch switches out the burner.

[quote="Doctor Drivel";p="829318

The boiler requires a minimum flow, so a by-pass has to be set up tom provide this. :D

Make sure you inform all makers of condensing boilers, they will be gobsmacked.

Once the rads are all closed down the boiler must be switched out. A flow switch must be fitted "after" the by-pass.

:eek: :eek: So now I have to fit a bypass & a flow switch. :eek:

Not easy this heating lark is it? ;)

QUESTION FOR GASPIPE

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back