Central heating with no room thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My central heating runs off a Volkera Linea and there is no room thermostat anywhere. Each radiator has a thermostat, we control the overall house temperature from the boilers central heating hot water temperature setting.
It seems to work quite well and the boiler is not always running but how does the boiler know when heating is needed. Should I fit a room thermostat.

Thanks
Jono

Sponsored Links
how does the boiler know when heating is needed

It doesn't and will be controlled through the boilers internal thermostat. Yes, fit a room stat to give better control and remove the TRV in the same room as the stat.

Thanks, will probably leave it as is then, there are 4 TRV's that would need removing along with the cost of the wall unit and plumber charges. It works OK but I did wonder how.

Sponsored Links
Definately fit a room thermostat. We fit one about 2 years ago and it make a substantial reduction to our bills, im talking in the region of about £200 a year on the same tariff.

It also is more comfortable in the sense the room never gets too hot or too cold.

You wont need to remove the TRV's on radiators either.

Fit a wireless Salos thermostat.

If it is a lot better than I will add a thermostat, and leave the SRV's in place if possible.
Is it a DIY install or are we not allowed to touch those parts of the boiler.(I work in electronics and can solder)
Thanks for the help.

Hi

I am planning to get a Salus RT510 room thermostat
Please can I confirm the wiring
As far as I can tell it is TA on boiler to NO on Salus, = on boiler to Com on Salus and Live / Neutral to Live / Neutral
I have linked to a picture of the two wiring diagrams. I would probably keep the boilers clock connected.

view
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_u4zZiYQoYhLTlSdDRZUWtVZFk/view?usp=sharing [/IMG]

Does this need to be done by a gas person?

Thanks
Jono

The RT510 is a programmable thermostat so will carry out control of both time and temperature, so the boiler timeswitch isn't necessary. If you do keep it, then it will need to be set to be permanently 'on' otherwise it will not allow the Salus to take control. If you do keep it in circuit, as well as the L & N connections, the Salus 'Com' and 'NO' would be wired to the boiler 'TA' and '=' terminals as you have worked out for yourself.

Alternatively, if you do remove the existing boiler timeswitch wiring, the Salus 'Com' and 'NO' would connect to the two 'TA' terminals at the boiler, it doesn't matter which way around.

The work only needs to be carried out by a Gas Safe engineer if to access the wiring terminals requires you to open up the room sealed chamber, the vast majority of boilers don't, but unfortunately I don't know your product well enough to be sure for certain.

Thanks stem, I am good to go then, I only have to remove the case and drop the flap holding the pcb down.

I thought you needed a wall stat to comply with part P and to stop the boiler from just running on boiler stat would you say short cycling.Bob

I thought you needed a wall stat to comply with part P and to stop the boiler from just running on boiler stat would you say short cycling.Bob
Bob part P is an electrical qualification, the code to do with energy efficiency is Part L, but is not applicable in Scotland so not required up your neck of the woods

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back