Central heating system - room thermostat not doing anything

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I have recently moved into a house with a Baxi Solo 3 boiler heating hot water and 5 radiators (each with it's own thermostatic valve).
The whole system is controlled by a lifestyle programmer.

There is also what looks like a central heating thermostat on the living room wall, and when I turn it it clicks at what seems the correct temperature. However it doesn't turn the central heating on or off, it stays on no matter what the thermostat is set to.

Is this a common fault? Or is it more likely that the room thermostat isn't connected to anything and is left over from an older system?

If I take the front off the lifestyle programmer is it easy to tell if it is connected to a room thermostat or not?

Sponsored Links
central heating thermostat on the living room wall, and when I turn it it clicks at what seems the correct temperature. However it doesn't turn the central heating on or off, it stays on no matter what the thermostat is set to.

is it more likely that the room thermostat isn't connected to anything and is left over from an older system?

If I take the front off the lifestyle programmer is it easy to tell if it is connected to a room thermostat or not?
I doubt if the thermostat is connected directly to the Lifestyle. You should find a wiring box in the airing cupboard, along with the pump, one or two motorized valves and a thermostat on the side of the HW cylinder. All electrical devices are wired up using the wiring box.

Are there any wires connected to the thermostat?
Can you find the other end of the wires?
Use a multimeter or a neon mains tester to check for voltage both ends of this wire. One terminal should be live only when the stat is turned up and clicked.

Thanks,

No sign of a pump, valves or wiring box so I imagine these must all be under the floorobards. The lifestyle, which is above the boiler, has 4 wires coming out of it which disappear behind the boiler and that, along with the CH pressure tank and hot water cylinder is all I can see.

Is it 230V AC I'd expect to find at the thermostat in the living room?

Sponsored Links
No sign of a pump, valves or wiring box so I imagine these must all be under the floorboards.
Not unknown, but unusual and very inconvenient. The Solo 3 is designed for pumped circulation, so there must be one somewhere. If you have a system boiler, the pump is often inside the boiler casing.

You said:
The lifestyle, which is above the boiler, has 4 wires coming out of it
Which terminals are they connected to on the lifestyle?

You said:
that, along with the CH pressure tank and hot water cylinder is all I can see.
Any chance of a photo of the HW cylinder and surrounding pipework?

You said:
Is it 230V AC I'd expect to find at the thermostat in the living room?
Yes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back