Programmer or Thermostat Fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The Central Heating system is controlled by a Lifestyle LP522 Programmer and a Honeywell Room Thermostat (I believe a T6360B).

The boiler fails to react. I do not suspect a boiler fault as the boiler fires when called for (hot water) from the other half of the LP522 and from a separate programmer for the heated towel rails.

Any suggestion on how I can establish whether the Programmer or Thermostat is at fault would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Is there one of these in the system ?

and do the radiators get hot when hot water and heating are on together ?

Thanks

There is a Lifestyle 2 port motorised valve.

No. The water heating is fine but the central heating doesn't respond when both are on at the Programmer or only one.

Sponsored Links
Sorry to keep asking questions but does the pump run at all in any mode of operation ?

If you have a multimeter or mains tester screwdriver you can check that the room thermostat has permanent Live on terminal 1; and when the thermostat is calling for heat terminal 3 should also be live.

If the pump runs when there is a demand for central heating and stops when the room thermostat is turned down, the thermostat and programmer are probably OK.

In which case the microswitch in the motorised valve could be faulty.

Unless the OP tells us what boiler and control valve set up he has, this is all fruitless speculation.

I do appreciate your help though I guess that if I understood the system better I might not need it!

The Boiler is a Potterton Suprima 100 but as I said I don't think it is the problem

As I said earlier the Programmer is a Lifestyle LP522 and the Thermostat, a Honeywell ( I think T6360B). The motorised valve is a 2 port Lifestyle.

I don't know whether any of that helps but I have managed to get heat now by manually operating the motorised valve.

Does that help pin the problem down?

Thanks again.

Assuming you have two of those valves then yes.

The one you opened manually is faulty. The other one is what is bringing on the boiler and pump (the latter is wired through the former).

Assuming you have two of those valves then yes.

The one you opened manually is faulty. The other one is what is bringing on the boiler and pump (the latter is wired through the former).

Yes there are two valves. I assumed that the other one (another Lifestyle 2 port) was operating the water heating.

Sounds as though I need a new motorised vale when the Plumber gets round to ringing me back.

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back