Do I really need to engage a gas safety engineer?

• Thread starter richard7761
  • Start date
R

richard7761

I have a central heating radiator on a wall. That radiator will need to be moved a few feet, the pipework (dealing only with water) will need to be extended. I have a combi boiler.

Do I need to get a gas safe engineer to do this work? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Just one more thing. Is the answer different if I live in a council house as a tennant? (I know it sounds a crazy question, but please - just go with the flow). Thanks.

If memory serves me correctly you used to be able to do pretty much as you pleased with the property provided you returned the property to its original condition prior to ending the tenancy. May be wise to check with the landlord first though. ;)

Just one more thing. Is the answer different if I live in a council house as a tennant? (I know it sounds a crazy question, but please - just go with the flow). Thanks.

I think the best thing to do; contact the council & ask. Like many Contractors we have term contracts with councils & HAs that cover the whole CH system in social housing.

I think that because the council owns the central heating sysytem, they require a gas safe engineer, not because there is any danger of faulty work regarding gas pipes, because there is no work on gas pipes, but in order to bring the system back up to pressure. That will be the reason I think.

you dont need to have an RGI to fill a CH system otherwise filling loops would be idiot proof. saying that tho, a lot of joe public do abuse the filling loop for various reasons.

if you are a tenant you "should" get the landlords permission, but like everything else, nothing will be an issue till something else happens couple of eg's
you leave a leak that damages your or another property (if flats) could cause floor damage and electrical damage so who will foot the invoices?
the landlord has a contractor who maintains the system so you drain and move the rad, dont top up inhibitor etc and a future problem occurs then everyone is looking to shift the blame to again get someone else to foot the bill,
the reality is get the job done by a competant person to a high standard and nobody will know or care

I am a tennant in a council house. This is case where the permission for removing the radiator (and a wall) has been sought. One of the conditions for permission, that relates to the radiator, is that the gas safe registration number is obtained and the name of someone who does the work.

That condition is not enforceable with private housing, but looks as if it may with social housing.

The condition cannot relate to gas pipe work, because non is involved. Therefore, logic says,, it's likely to do with bringing the CH loop up to proper system pressure, after the work on the radiator is done. If someone "qualified" must bring the CH loop up to pressure, then, according to the condition, that workman must be a gas safe engineer.

It could be, (I don't know) that someone other than a gas safe engineer is sufficiently qualified to bring the CH loop up to pressure. Perhaps there are other people qualified. But, clearly, the council has explicitly stated it must be a gas safe engineer. Whether that makes any sense, others will know better. Does it make sense?

The issue then is one of qualification, with regard to setting up the system pressure. The council are obviously stipulating a qualification of the worker regarding that task, and they are stipulating a gas safety engineer.

Of course the condition hinders the DIYer who is trying to cut his costs. So, the DIYer asks is this condition necessary.

I can see myself having a gas safety engineer simply bring the CH loop up to pressure. I wonder how much would cost.

One of the conditions for permission, that relates to the radiator, is that the gas safe registration number is obtained and the name of someone who does the work.

That condition is not enforceable with private housing, but looks as if it may with social housing.

So, the DIYer asks is this condition necessary.

If the OWNER of the house wants to specify the qualifications of anyone who is to carry out alterations to THEIR property then they certainly have a perfect right to do so.

If the OCCUPANT doesn't like it, they can always go and rent somewhere else!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back