Do I sand between coats of gloss?

Rhi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm new to both decorating and the forum and have searched but can't find the answer.

I am painting the wood surround to my front door. I sanded, applied 2 coats of dulux trade undercoat and have applied one coat of dulux trade high gloss (no thinning of paints was done).

It says to apply one or two coats but doesn't mention sanding between coats of gloss. My Dad said I should as shiny doesn't stick to shiny, but if I can avoid it that would be great. It would of been great not to apply a second coat but it looks like it could do with it as although it has covered everywhere, it looks a little thin.

So the question is, do I need to sand before I apply a second coat? and if yes, what grade sandpaper should I use?

Thanks in advance for your help and if you need any more information, please just ask,

Rhi :)

Sponsored Links
I believe this is a flaw with Dulux when there gloss requires an additional coat. The reason they do not recomend sanding the gloss down is because they know this will scratch & tear the just applied gloss. Therefore making you an angry client. However, i find the best thing to do in your situation is to apply the first coat of gloss, then in the next 24 hours apply an second coat (without rubbing down), as it takes paints 72 hours to fully cure. Though in your situation then i would leave the door for at least 28 days and then slightly rub down the surface to break the gloss (but only slightly). Then apply your second coat.

The surround to your door (?architrave?) is likely to be a moulding with various lines and ridges on it. If you sand it you will probably rub the paint film off these ridges, so it will look worse when you topcoat it.

The second-coat-on-fresh is a good approach. It can be difficult to see where you've been, and some painters will add 10% white to the "first topcoat" if they are intending to apply a "second topcoat"

If the coverage looks poor, is it because the colour of the topcoat is different to the colour of the undercoat? Undercoat has better hiding power. If you can't get one in a similar colour to your topcoat, some people will mix the colour with the undercoat to give a final preparation that can be flatted off and will obliterate well. You only want to apply a light pressure to take any nibs or dead flies off, hopefully you won't have any runs or brushmarks ;)

Will 48 hours be too long to apply second coat without sanding? As I can get it done tomorrow morning and it will be 48 hrs then.

Thanks for advice given.

Sponsored Links
Rhi said:
Will 48 hours be too long to apply second coat without sanding? As I can get it done tomorrow morning and it will be 48 hrs then.

Thanks for advice given.

You've got about 7 days before sanding is required.... As john D says only sand to de.nib/ flys etc. use a very fine paper lightly..................only if you got nibs... ;)
good luck

Thank you so much. Looks like I have a job for the morning then!

Rhi said:
Thank you so much. Looks like I have a job for the morning then!
do it before sunup it's gonna be hot......... :LOL:

Any trade gloss is "thin"....and most say 2 coats can be applied ;) Years ago Which magazine tested paints and found Woolworths to be the best :eek: To the sound of laughter from my old dad (who was an old school decorator using Magnet Lead based paints on exterior woodwork until they were banned :eek: ) I used it on my front door and guess what ..It did last well :LOL: That was thin too

It could well have been the way I applied it too though. I was worried about it dripping so didn't apply it too thickly, but not too thinly either. I am prepared to take part of blame though! Odd thing is, it looks fine in bright daylight, but in evening it looks thin.

do it before sunup it's gonna be hot.........:D

Thankfully it's in the shade until about 11.30 so just gonna finish my coffee then off to do it. Thanks again :D

Nige F said:
Any trade gloss is "thin"....and most say 2 coats can be applied ;) Years ago Which magazine tested paints and found Woolworths to be the best :eek: To the sound of laughter from my old dad (who was an old school decorator using Magnet Lead based paints on exterior woodwork until they were banned :eek: ) I used it on my front door and guess what ..It did last well :LOL: That was thin too

Thats cos it was made by MacPhersons...but I had found they are crap now.

Yep, "Zampa" MacPhersons have gone down hill. They use to be good paints. I may be wrong but did Crown take them over ?

Yep and they in turn swallowed up the Brolac name...big mistake IMO

Interesting, guys ;) Brolac.the paint the trade uses....and a logo of an old boy with a pipe :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back