'spot sanding' gloss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have sanded, undercoated (one coat) and top coated (gloss) two bedroom panel doors. I have used Dulux Trade brilliant white for both.
This is my first attempt at using 'proper' gloss - in the past using non drip, once etc. I thought it was about time I learned to paint properly !

The top coat looks great - 99% of the doors are spot on. However, I have the odd drip, and in one place a line of about 7-8 drips. Can I sand just these parts and then apply more top coat just to those areas, or do I need to sand and do another coat on the whole door ? I know what the 'right' answer is, but will I really notice just spot repairs, or will they blend in ?

I did the undercoat on Sunday night, and the gloss at about 10am on Monday. How long should I wait before sanding and recoating ? I have fine grade paper (labelled up for using between coats)

Sponsored Links
i would carefully sand the drips and apply a spot of gloss and see how it looks, then repaint if your not happy.

gloss can take daaaaays to dry fully, otherwise it will turn to rubber when sanding it.

gloss and doors are a pain, good tip when glossing, is to always go back 5mins after u have finished and check for drips, they can be dealt with then.

Thanks for thw quick reply.
How long do you suggest I leave it ? A few days, a week ?

I did go back and check - about 30 mins later. I did the second door whilst keeping an eye on the first. Its the seconsd that has the big long line of drips! :(
Its like painting with water, compared to the usual DIY consumer stuff. Looks great though.

Sponsored Links
When I used to get runs, I used to leave it a few days & rud down with fine wet & dry paper keeping it very wet & rubbing gently.
It worked for me

When I used to get runs, I used to leave it a few days & rud down with fine wet & dry paper keeping it very wet & rubbing gently.
It worked for me

Literally dipping the paper in water before using it ?
By a 'few days', I assume you mean 3 ? I'd love to be able to do this tomorrow - but it sounds like that will be too soon (having top coated yesterday morning)

Keep it very wet.
Place newspaper & towel & bottom of the door.
You cannot have to much water.
When I did mine (I had 6 doors both sides), I had no flooring down so was not a problem.

Having waited since Monday morning, I had a go at sanding the drips last night using P400 wet and dry.
It seems to have done an OK job, but rather than turning to dust, the gloss seemed to 'peel' into chunks that then fell off. Is this normal, due to the wet/dry being wet, or did I not leave it long enough ?
Anyway... I now have patches where the gloss isnt quite silky smooth - there are still the odd bumps where one coat has peeled a little from the previous. Can I ever expect to be able to sand this smooth, or should I be looking to put on another undercoat (ontop of the top coat I have done!) and then top coat again ?
If so, I assume I have to lightly sand the whole door and re undercoat it all, rather than just the patches ? If I try two more coats on just the patches (undercoat and top coat), will this look awful ?

Did you use a cork block with your wet & dry..You should, it then keeps it flat.
The idea is you rub the drips/runns away, that removes the gloss, you then dry it & re paint

Sometimes I get away with using a stanley blade in a window scraper to gently slice out the blobby bit, this usually reveals the wet paint underneath, leave that to dry for an hour or so then abrade very gently. but as mentioned above it takes 30 days min to fully harden / cure.
But TBH I usually end up repainting the whole door. :oops:

good luck

Sometimes it is just best to do the whole door again. Let it dry (probably at least 5 days) rub down, undercoat and then gloss. If using Dulux Trade, which in my opinion is the best and unfortunately one of the dearest paints there is I find if you do get runs it is very forgiving. After you have finished painting door keep an eye on it for 5 to 10 mins, remove most of excess paint from brush and just lightly brush out runs before they start to dry. What you don't need to do is keep adding more paint to the runs which makes the situation worse . Usually works

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back