Do I spend or not ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a property which I need to sell, it's in a decent area but like everywhere there are lots of properties on the market.

The kitchen cupboards and worktop need updating, and I was going to put a fire-surround in as a focal point, the dilemma is do I spend money on it (which I haven't got) or do I just reflect this in the price.

After all I figure whoever buys it will rip the kitchen out anyway and as for the fire-surround, it seems as though the new focal points now are the large flatscreen televisions.

Confused ?

Sponsored Links
ask local estate agents for there advice they know what the local market wants
they will tell you want work is likely to be cost effective

We all like different things. For that reason, I certainly would not spend any money on it at all. Prospective buyers would probably welcome the opportunity to refit it to their own taste. I would make sure it is tidy and clean, ready for anyone to redecorate.

II sold my father’s house under probate a couple of years ago &, as are a lot older folk’s properties, it was sound, clean but in desperate need of updating. I asked my estate agent if I should tart the place up a bit & was told that it was definitely not worth it, rather better to go for a realistic asking price that reflected the work that needed doing. After turning down a few stupid & opportunistic offers, I sold for the asking price within a couple of months. Just make sure it’s clean & bright & get rid of all the clutter when people come to view; a few vases of flowers & some side lamps can have an amazing effect.

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

You don't say what price you're asking, but if it's in the nominal (not 'luxury') end of the market where it's located, if you do it up, you'll be competing with loads of others in the same price range.

They'll probably all have the same refurb- halogen downlighters, stainless steel extractor, thin tubular SS cupboard handles, standard 'developers' kitchen cabinetry over black feu granite worktops, laminated floors, more downlighters, oatmeal carpeting, magnolia and white and 'minimalistic') There may even be- God forbid, a feu breakfast tray perched at a jaunty angle on the bed.

I agree with earlier posts, I live in a 3 bed semi in the 'nominal' price bracket, owned and built by my late parents in 1962. Perfectly sound but tired, having not been touched much since it was built.

I was set to refurb completely last year with a view to selling and took advice from agents. They too said sell it as it is and reflect the value of the work in the asking price. (Nothing stopping you getting quotes done to show buyers the kind of costs involved, although they may want to get their own of course)

It seems we're all getting very fussy these days, and in spite of the TV progs, doing up a property for sale means you'll take a gamble on the taste of the unknown buyers, AND you could be waiting around a while in this soft market for your choice of bath tap to appeal to Mr & Mrs choosy.

If it's time for you to move, then sell as is- it's simpler and quicker.
Let a DIYing owner occupier have a go and 'put his/r own stamp on it', while you get on with your life elsewhere.

That's what I've taken the last 3.5 yrs since Mum died to decide.

Best
DL :)

Thanks for all the advice, I guess if someone likes the place enough then they will buy it.
It just gets a little frustrating especially when certain tv programmes tell you to spend spend spend, or is that the missus ?

Back