ADVICE PLEASE - What Dehumidifier to purchase ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I currently have an empty property which is located over 10 miles from me...It is between rentals atm and has started to get a LOT of damp due to no airlflow..

I have tried leaving some windows slightly open and try to visit as regularly as i can to 'air'the property..

I am looking to get a large tank dehumidifier that i can empty every other or every 3/4 days if possible...

I could even get the neighbours to do this as they are very nice/helpfull.

I have looked and it's a 'mindfield'out there !!

Or i could have one with a drain and place it in the bath or near on kitchen worktop to drain into sink..

Anyone recommend a DECENT reliable model that can also be serviced ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It sounds like you have more fundamental problems such as leaks.

Empty properties do not suffer from damp or condensation without water being introduced somehow.

It sounds like you have more fundamental problems such as leaks.

Empty properties do not suffer from damp or condensation without water being introduced somehow.
Yes, i am also in the process of having the stack removed as it is letting in water...BUT i would still like to get one anyway. They are always usefull when plastering etc...I am planning on full renovation whilst it is empty...

Cheers

Sponsored Links
We have had a dehumidifier of a few types for over 10 years. Domestic use only.
Two main types;refrigerant (work like a fridge, can sound like one too!) and desiccant.
Desiccant work very effectively at much lower temperatures than the refrigerant ones do. Also more quiet. Pretty sure that both types permit tubing to permanently drain off. I.e. can sit it in the bath and leave it on to dry a whole house.This gets you over the tank size limit. There is a lot of BS on the marketing blurb over the amount they extract each day as they will tweak temp and relative humidity to make their machine do very well. In a colder house (where condensation is more likely) desiccants work very well. And they actually warm the space a bit, too. Some have humidistat setting so will turn on and off when your home changes in humidity within or beyond limits. We found that it took about 12 days solid before the house was 'dry', then it would turn on only for about 20 minutes each day.
Meaco is our current one and came with a 5 year guarantee that we paid a smallish top-up to get.

None of them respond very well to dust- they need cleaning regularly, though in a non-lived in place it should not be a problem.

Edit- cleaning the filters is the only servicing that we've had to do. Not sure if refrigerant types need re-gassing?? But cleaning the filters is simple enough.

Sponsored Links
Back