Do Mitre Blocks Work?!?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have around 4 metres of skirting to do and this comprises of around 6 corners. I purchased a mitre block from ScrewFix hoping that it would be adequate. I screwed this to the floor boards but have had nothing but trouble: The saw cut some of the plastic and created a groove of its own, the finish is not clean and there are gaps when I put two pieces of skirting together, etc...

I have a relatively new saw too.

Do I need to purchase a chop saw and if this is the case, would something like this do the job?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/evolution...0v/7277p#product_additional_details_container

Thanks

Sponsored Links
JupiterO1, personally I think plastic mitre blocks are rubbish. The chop saw is the better option, but it depends on the depth of skirting if it's 4 inch you should be fine, but if it's 5 or 6 inch you will definitely struggle as there isn't enough capacity in the blade to cut the latter in one go.

Your external mitres may not come together to form a perfect 90 degree as your walls might be out of square.

my skirting is 120m and the description of this mitre aw suggests "Max. Cross Cut: 125 x 55mm". I assumed this would be sufficient for what I need

Yeh sorry didn't read the blurb, yes you'll have more luck with one of these.

You'll need ear defenders, safety specs, and dust mask especially if it's mdf skirting and mind your fingers!!

Sponsored Links
Do check the saw is cutting square if you buy one - most require some fine adjustment to get them to cut accurate angles.

If you've rapidly cut a groove in the mitre block then (as crap as they are) it could be that your technique needs a bit of improvement - getting your body in the right position helps a lot; when I started using a handsaw every cut of mine used to curve like a banana, now I'll reach for the handsaw over the chopsaw every time because the results are better.

You could always try a hand mitre saw - if you're not going to be cutting mitres on a regular basis it'll be cheaper then the chop saw and smaller.

For refining the pieces you've cut already (or ones in the future where your walls aren't at 90 degrees) it'd probably be worth getting hold of a (low angle) block plane e.g. http://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-steel-block-plane/6972c#product_additional_details_container but I would recommend honing the blade before use; you can use wet n' dry sandpaper on a flat surface (e.g. glass shelf) for this.

screwing it to the floor must make cutting accurately impossible?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back