Do these bare root raspberry canes look acceptable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Sorry for another question so quickly! It's the first time I've bought raspberry canes so - aside from pictures on the net - I had no idea what to expect. I've ordered Chemainus and Polka, both of which looked as I expected....

....but I also ordered some Glen Ample and they look a bit on the measly sickly side! However, being new to all of this and these being my first ever canes, I don't know if they are normal and will be fine when they get going.

I have already planted them out, but being a bit of a stresser I'm wondering whether they will come to anything. If anyone can spare a moment, I'll put up some pics of the worst of the bunch for anyone with more experience than me (not difficult!) to have a look at.

As a side note, do I need to do anything to the canes to help protect them from the approaching cold weather or are they tough and hardy enough?

Many thanks

Max

Raspberry Plants from Crocus - Glen Ample 01.JPG
Raspberry Plants from Crocus - Glen Ample 03.JPG
Raspberry Plants from Crocus - Glen Ample 06.JPG

Sponsored Links
No-one can say whether they'll come to anything, there are too many variables. I've certainly planted worse looking specimens that survived. Check where you bought them from - most decent websites/nurseries will replace duff stuff. It's too late now but if you plant bare root again, look at how the roots feel - are they dry/crunchy or pliable with a bit of give. Depending on the time of year, you might be able to spot small nodules on the stem, at the base of the stem or on the roots.

They don't need protecting from the weather.

Enjoy your gardening and don't stress about it. It's a constant battle against nature - sometimes she wins, sometimes you win!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back