Garden lighting - is this acceptable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I wish to mount some lights to a wall in my garden. Most of the IP-rated garden lights i've found expect the cable to come from the rear, and i'd like the lights to match the existing lights I have which look something like this:

1716305790934.png

There's no provision on this light for side entry of cables so I propose to drill 2x 20mm holes with a holesaw in the casing and install IP68 grommets like this in order to install a wire in from the supply/previous light, and a wire out to the next light (apologies for my dreadful photoshop!). I've had a quick measure up of my existing lights and there should be enough "meat" on the casing for it to work.

1716306182211.png

Is there any fundamental problem with this? (Other than the potential for it to look a bit rough!)

Additionally - which cable can I use? Is it acceptable to use weather resistant flex cable for cable attached to a garden wall, or should it all be SWA?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Other than looking a bit rough as you say, should be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back