Adding additional lights in garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we are wanting to install some wall lights and floor lights to are back garden and needed some advice on how best to wire them to a switch.

Currently we have just the one pir flood light in the garden and switch for it is in the kitchen just by the back door (goes into garden)

I really want to avoid running cables on the outside wall and ideally like cables hidden as much as possible.

If i added another switch and run a cable off it, it would mean the cable would have to be runalong the outside wall, hence we are thinking if theres another way we can make this work.

For example, can a wireless switch be used instead with the help of a live off the flood lights cable?

Sponsored Links
Yes it can, have a look at Sonoff wireless switches. Of course if you switch the flood off your strapon light will be off as well

Thankyou.

Another thought came to mind, im pretty sure ive seen remote control units which can connect several different circuits off of them.

I believe they went somethingvlike this,

Internal switch to box outside ( box out side has multiple connection point's) and each point can then be switched on or off using the wirless switch/ remote.

So as long as the main switch inside the house is on then i could turn on the flood light, floor light, wall lights how i please.

Anyone know if this is possible and are these type of units reliable in the long run?

Yes and so far yes, again Sonoff do a 4 way module, about £16.
Only problem is you can only switch it via the app- which is ok and free but takes about 10 seconds to fire up every time

Sponsored Links
Thankyou again, i really appreciate your quick response :)

Ok i may pay a visit to tlc and see if they have something silimar and comes with a remote /switch that can be fixed to the wall internally.

I need something easy to use for an elder in the family and preferably something that wont get lost like many remote control seem to do in my house :)

I don't work for them but they do have a range of WiFi switches...switch needs mains, you can program the button functions in the app. I've not tried them yet (think a 2 gang one is about £20) but they look like the solution to one of my problems (having to faff with the phone to turn the outside floods on & off).
There are loads of different wifi switches available....oh yes, the app links wi th Alexa for sure-which has made me think, my new Fire tablet does Alexa, must try it.....

Follow- up to the above- I've just linked Alexa on my £25 bargain Kindle Fire to the EweLink app- it took about 2 minutes and works frighteningly well! No more phone faff for the outside lights now, just have to keep the Fire powered up :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back