Garden PIR install from radial light circuit?

The most constructive thing I can say is that you are breaking the law, you are out of your depth and there is a good chance you will cause harm to yourself unless you get someone in who knows what they are doing. Do it soon and they may rescue the electrical situation in the house before it becomes terminal.

Did my opening question ask for a response concerning the legality of the work that I am conducting? Where did I mention a 'friends house'? And again I ask, do you drive specifically to the limit on the public highway? If not, you're also breaking the law and risking your life every day.

Changing a CU would be 'out of my depth' and I wouldn't wish to attempt it, for this kind of work I'm trying to learn to do it the correct way.

Ignore me if you wish but perhaps its just an inconvient truth that you feel very uncomfortable when challenged over the legality of the work you are doing and tend to lash out accordingly.

I simply feel uncomfortable at the rude and patronising tone of your opening post, I am not 'out of my depth' and I am here to discover the correct way to achieve my goal.

If you're not willing to help me constructively in achieving that, or disapprove of my methods or consideration for safety, please find another thread or take a few minutes to consider why you are here on this D I Y electrics forum?

Its a shame that useful threads such as this are ruined by rude, patronising, arrogant know-it-alls such as yourself and BAS - you don't gain any respect with this approach.

Sponsored Links
Well - it seems that using a :rolleyes: smiley is now considered so abusive as to merit a post being removed.

I wonder what the point is of the site providing them for us to use if using them is viewed as abuse?

Anyway - without using any words or emoticons which might be taken to be abuse, I would just like to point out to everybody who is trying to help that you are dealing with someone who, having been told

"500w halogens are not permitted and haven't been for years.
If they are controlled with PIR sensors, 100W is the maximum per fitting
"

asked if he could install a 240W light, and having been told

"If you want more than 100W, lamps must be 45 lumens per watt or above, which rules out all incandescent and halogen types"

asked if he could install a 240W halogen light.

You might like to bear that in mind when trying to explain things.

Quick question regarding the cabling type that runs through the wall and up to the external PIR.

Having purchased some 1.5mm steel armoured cable, I'll have trouble discreetly running this thick black cabling up the external wall (approximately 1m travel from exiting the wall upwards - exiting the house at a height of 11ft from ground level and so away from potential mechanical damage).

Instead, is it acceptable to use standard 1.5mm and then house is in plastic MK conduit instead?

MK_channel.jpg

Thanks,

Having purchased some 1.5mm steel armoured cable, I'll have trouble discreetly running this thick black cabling up the external wall (approximately 1m travel from exiting the wall upwards - exiting the house at a height of 11ft from ground level and so away from potential mechanical damage). Instead, is it acceptable to use standard 1.5mm and then house is in plastic MK conduit instead?
I know we're all different, but do you really think that 'orrible white plastic stuff (which isn't 'conduit', by the way) would look better on an external wall than armoured cable?

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
Having purchased some 1.5mm steel armoured cable, I'll have trouble discreetly running this thick black cabling up the external wall (approximately 1m travel from exiting the wall upwards - exiting the house at a height of 11ft from ground level and so away from potential mechanical damage). Instead, is it acceptable to use standard 1.5mm and then house is in plastic MK conduit instead?
I know we're all different, but do you really think that 'orrible white plastic stuff (which isn't 'conduit', by the way) would look better on an external wall than armoured cable?

Kind Regards, John.

I know you're right but the only armoured cable I could find is black and very circular, I think it would look worse that this *alternative* which will blend in with the white of the house walls?

I know you're right but the only armoured cable I could find is black and very circular, I think it would look worse that this *alternative* which will blend in with the white of the house walls?
Nothing can be done about it being round, but you can paint it (and the associated clips/cleats) white. That would certainly be my personal choice.

Kind Regards, Join.

Nothing can be done about it being round, but you can paint it (and the associated clips/cleats) white. That would certainly be my personal choice.

Kind Regards, Join.

You may have convinced me :D

If opting for the steel armoured cable. would a few threads of the steel need pairing into the terminals with the earth conductors at each end for safety?

If opting for the steel armoured cable. would a few threads of the steel need pairing into the terminals with the earth conductors at each end?
Please stop before you kill yourself - you don't have a clue what you are doing.

If opting for the steel armoured cable. would a few threads of the steel need pairing into the terminals with the earth conductors at each end?
Please stop before you kill yourself - you don't have a clue what you are doing.

That's why I'm asking, not doing, you fcking rude, patronising pr1ck...

Offer up some constructive answers. if you're even capable, or don't bother responding at all.

My question is as a result of these threads...
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=91552
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1240526#1240526

Maybe, but ...

If opting for the steel armoured cable. would a few threads of the steel need pairing into the terminals with the earth conductors at each end for safety?
.. as others have said, if you need to ask questions like that, you really shouldn't be even thinking of doing it. Painting the SWA, after someone competent has installed it properly and safely, is a part of the job you could do.

Kind Regards, John.

Maybe, but ...

.. as others have said, if you need to ask questions like that, you really shouldn't be even thinking of doing it. Painting the SWA, after someone competent has installed it properly and safely, is a part of the job you could do.

Kind Regards, John.

So earthing of the steel armouring isn't required? Contrary to the threads that I posted?

Is the armour required? (I may have missed something)

Not necessarily as far as I am aware, it was simply to provide an additional level of protection for cabling that will run 1m up the external wall of my property. However, the cable won't exit until 11ft from the ground, so there isn't a significant risk from 'human' interference or potential damage once installed. Weather is the only factor.

Based on the above I'll stick with standard cabling and enclose in the plastic white casing instead...I am however still interested in the earthing of steel armouring and why it is not appropriate for this cable yet is in other threads?

Here's the stuff I bought (although in shorter quantity)
http://www.wickes.co.uk/15mm2-3-core-steel-wired-armoured-cable/invt/156240/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back