Wiring extractor fan into outside light.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a dedicated radial circuit from my CU that feeds 2 outside PIR lights. The outside cable to this conveniently passes the position on the outside wall where I intend to fit an extractor fan for my bathroom. Can the t&e cable going to the outside light be spurred off for a proximity sensor extractor fan?

The fan has no earth, and instructions say nothing about needing a switch.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Have you a link to the extractor fan, just make sure it does not require a switch and perm line, for overrun. If it does you cannot use a twin and earth.

PIR fans usually just require a Perm L and N.

Go for a decent brand though, we fitted some last week from a major electrical wholesaler, and the PIR module was glued to the cover. This meant that whilst fitting, the lid was hanging by the PIR cables. Poor design. One fresh out of the box had already had the PIR come off.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys.

The fan and outside light are on their own circuit which can be independently switched off at CU. Is this not sufficient isolation?

If not, would putting a 3 pole switch in series do the job? Should it be fused?

can be independently switched off at CU. Is this not sufficient isolation?

Isolation for outside lighting should have the both Live and Neutral isolated. Isolating the Live and not isolating the Neutral can still trip the RCD if there is a fault in the lighting that creates leakage to Ground or Earth. Rain water in the lamps is a common cause of this

The fan and outside light are on their own circuit which can be independently switched off at CU. Is this not sufficient isolation?
As far as the regulations are concerned - Yes.

Local isolation is not a requirement; just a good idea.

You also need to be aware of the methods of jointing that is allowed, if the joint is going to be inaccessible when completed.
Then there is the permitted safe cable routes, and the added protection via RCD if the location requires one, or if cables are buried in walls less than 50mm without mechanical protection.
Then with regards of chases for buried cables, they must comply to the structural depths allowed.
And then whether the work is deemed notifiable to building controls, if work is undertaken in the bathroom zones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back