Garden lights on RCD Fuse Spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some garden lights installed in my decking; we have an armoured that runs from the lighting across the garden to just outside the house.

The cable for these lights was never terminated directly in to the property by the person that originally ran it, instead as a temporary measure the installer stuck a plug on the armoured cable and instead plugged it in to our weather proof RCD protected external plug socket which we already had on the side of the property.

The way its installed at the moment obviously doesn't allow the lighting to be switched on/off from inside the property, it obviously requires us to walk in to the garden and manually switch the lighting on which is a right pain in the rear.

I want to put a switch inside the property and ideally not have to use the "external" rcd protected socket for the lighting any more and just keep that free for gardening usage, which it was originally meant for.

I know its not the best way to go about it but can I get away with pulling my external lighting's armoured cable in to my property, terminating it with a gland in to a flush mounted RCD protected fused spur with trip switch etc and simply add that spur as a part or the existing living room ring main?

Ideally I would of liked to had a new supply pulled from the board for this but we don't physically have the room since a few previous board upgrades and other installation's that we had to handle the new extension and separate studio we've had built.

Can anyone see a problem with what I'm suggesting, if so please let me know what you think.

Thanks...

Sponsored Links
the installer stuck a plug on the armoured cable
Before you remove that entirely, please take a photo of it with the cover off - I'd love to see what he did with the armour!

I know its not the best way to go about it but can I get away with pulling my external lighting's armoured cable in to my property, terminating it with a gland in to a flush mounted RCD protected fused spur with trip switch etc and simply add that spur as a part or the existing living room ring main?
If there's enough cable to play with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back