Do these olants attract flies ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi csn anyone tell me if there plants attract small flies ? And if so what can I do to keep them away?

Attachments

• 20230314_072936.jpg
    20230314_072936.jpg
    322.7 KB · Views: 49
Sponsored Links
I have read Peace Lilly can attract bugs that kills them, we had a lovely one that died put this down to bugs/flies.
can't help with what to kill them with.

The compost/soil is too damp. Water only sparingly especially over the winter months.

They all attract fungus gnats. The little buggers will come annoy you all day long. As soon as they feel they have been detected, they will fly towards something black and disappear. They also fly towards the human eye. You will lose focus and they make a get away.

I cling film the soil and hold the film down with pebbles-substitute (aggregate for use in concrete) so that they can't access the soil or come out of it. The stem of the plant has to be sealed as well. This fixes the infestation. The plants are watered from the bottom at the dish and are unaffected by the sealed soil. Can't tell you how to seal a complex stem system.

Sponsored Links
Yes, the plants don't attract fungus gnats, but if the soil is too wet, it might do.

I find I can get rid of fungus gnats with a hand held vacuum, and stones on the soil would also help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back