How To Get Rid Of Crappy Pigeons

Sponsored Links
Hmm, have you got a license for these pigeons of yours?

Are you responsible enough to have pigeons ?
Maybe you should get a dog, they like chasing them away :)

Fake owls/hawks etc won't do a thing. They soon suss out they are not for real. As for attracting crows, forget it. Crows are carrion eaters so don't bother the pigeons one iota. I should know because we have a small stream near us called Crowbrook, (simply because there are so many crows around here). The crows and pigeons eat together in the meadow next door.
Most effective thing would be a real hawk, such as a peregrine falcon or Harris hawk, which you release each day or two after proper training. Only problem is, if they catch a pigeon, or any other bird, they won't come home until they have devoured it and need to feed again which may take a day or two, (assuming they don't catch something else in the meantime).

A sparrowhawk patrols this area so our wood pigeons tend to keep an eye open when they sleep...but even that can't help them if hawk spots them first. I've had to dispose of several victims of hawks expertise at diving at high speed. One time i watched hawk drag a victim up our garden to feed among the hedgerow. The poor pigeons never know what hits 'em.
You're absolutely right: If you want to rid your garden of pigeons, get a hawk.

Alternately, he could always try talking to 'em. That would work.:p

Sponsored Links
Years ago we had fishing lines stretched between tall trees with a flying plastic hawk silhouette suspended on a vertical line . There was a realistic floppy thin plastic cover fixed to it which flapped in the breeze as it swung about.
Its the only thing that really works but the downside was it got tangled quite a lot.
Edit: similar kind of thing but mine was 30ft in the air

Last edited:
Years ago we had fishing lines stretched between tall trees with a flying plastic hawk silhouette suspended on a vertical line . There was a realistic floppy thin plastic cover fixed to it which flapped in the breeze as it swung about.
Its the only thing that really works but the downside was it got tangled quite a lot.
Edit: similar kind of thing,
Using fishing lines to try to stop birds going in trees is like trying to push water uphill. Where are birds supposed to live?Do you want the pigeons to get a mortgage?

Wood pigeons are pests, but also protected in the UK under the Wildlife and Countryside Act, 1981.

As they are ground feeders, cats and dogs are the best deterrent. I wasn't joking about my pigeons -the garden used to be covered in pigeon sh1t, now it is covered in lovely, aromatic terrier sh1t.

Pro Pigeon Deterrent

IMG_20220420_114216395_HDR.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back