Getting rid of pigeons

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Are there any effective ways of keeping pigeons out of my garden?

I have a big tree which they all sit on and then poo in me garden, they also sit in other trees and on fences etc.

Its got to the point of us considering having the tree cut down hoping they will go away as I think the tree is the main attraction for them.

I have been looking at these http://www.birdspikesonline.co.uk/Bird-Spikes/Defender4-Pigeon-Spikes-Plastic bird spike for the fences etc,

I just wondered if there were any less drastic methods to keeping these two legged rats away?

Thanks
Paul

Sponsored Links
get an air rifle and take pot shots at them? they would quickly get the message and move if even if you missed them. seriously, I think you are allowed to shoot them.

dont think you are allowed to shoot them,but do check before a neighbour grasses you up.get a fake bird of prey or something like that and fix it in the tree.

I'd go with the air rifle solution - just make sure you have a good backstop for your pellets so they don't cross your boundary.

Sponsored Links
If the wildlife bothers you that much why not live somewhere else. I am not keen on people but I don’t go around shooting them. Well not anymore! :eek:

Nope not a good time of year, it's breeding season. Pigeon sh*t, nothing like the sh*t we humans create.

i have a 2.2 air rifle, u can certainly shoot the critters. I take out about 1 every 2 weeks or so

First check if the neibours are feeding them,their there for a reason.
You can put a speaker in the tree and make a tape of a gun shot going off
every two minutes, this will make them move on. they hate sharp noise.
This is what they do at the airports.

You can put a speaker in the tree and make a tape of a gun shot going off
every two minutes.

That will please the neighbours................... :eek:

Under new EU legislation.

Quote ...."every time you kill a crow, magpie, feral pigeon or woodpigeon, among other species,
you will have to be able to "demonstrate that appropriate non-lethal methods of control such as scaring are either ineffective or impracticable"."

You no longer have free licence to shoot "avian pests".

Plus, if a pellet should stray outside your boundary, you could be prosecuted for that as well.

It is an offence to fire an airgun within 50 feet of the centre of a public highway, if by doing so you cause any member of the public using that highway to be injured, interrupted or endangered. This applies even if you are on private property adjacent the highway. Public highways include roads, bridleways and public footpaths.

there is a volume control on the speakers adjust to neibors liking, you might also imform them in case they get scared.

for you deep thinkers! I mean the neibours not the birds.

crazycanuck, its a novel idea, but totaly useless in an urban situation, you yourself said they use it at airports, this is a house

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back