Leaning Tree

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have an apple tree that is located close to a fence (trunk is about a foot away at a rough guess) that has started to lean heavily into the garden, the roots are all still in-tact as far as I can tell (certainly the tree is showing no sign of coming out) but the lack of available space has made righting it again a bit tricker.

I can't use the fence post behind the tree as it is on it's last legs and will result in me having to replace it (despite it not being my fence I imagine if my tree has done the damage it would only be fair), so I was wondering about using a ground anchor and ratchet strap (or similar) to 'right' the tree, and then provide some additional support at the front and see if I can see on the ground what has caused it to sag so much in the first place.

Reasonable? How would you approach it? Any experiences/lessons learned appreciated!

Sponsored Links
It might be worth digging it up and replanting it further away from the fence, especially if it's leaning because it is growing towards the light.

But I would guess that the stresses in the wood will be far stronger than any fence post that you tie it to in an attempt to "train" it unless it is just a small sapling.

Blup

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks - can't post a picture right now, but just shy of 6 foot tall, although probably about 4 foot is where it is widest.

Didn't think about the fact that it was leaning for the sake of light, but that actually makes sense. Might just be too big for where it currently sits, it started to lean more after the heavy rains and we've had issues with a mole this year, so I wonder if it's a combination of factors which has led to this - maybe propping up until after it has finished (any suggestions on this welcome) it's current batch of apples and then cutting back/relocating later.

TFT

Agree, fruit trees hate being moved, and it's the wrong time of year anyway - always move plants when dormant, such as Nov-Feb.
The fruit trees go into shock, found out myself with a very young plum sapling this year, moved it out the pot I started in off and it still wilted badly once I moved it into the new bed in May. I thought I'd get away with it and only just did!

Last edited:
A notched fence post might support it.

Good luck with the John Deere!

Blup

If you use that method I would certainly make sure the supporting posts are a lot more than a foot deep! I'd go for at least 2 1/2 feet which, if you are using metal stakes, should be easy enough to sink into soil to that depth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back