Fence Post next to large tree

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
are there any potential problems to positioning a fence post right up close to large poplar tree. some of the tree root has been cut back and the post can be quite close to this tree root, but could make hole wider and move post away . i was thinking the tree may move the post over time

there will still be a gap between the post and the tree - does anyone have any suggestions as to how this could be filled

Sponsored Links
Not wise IMO. Would normally move the post a couple of feet away and get creative with the fencing to bridge the gap. No problem if using featherboard, panels will have to be cut accordingly. Then use a short bit of fencing to bridge the gap between post and tree.

do you mean the possibility of tree roots breaking through the concrete at some point in the future....oh dear spent all that time digging such a nice deep hole :eek:

i think i may bite the bullet and hope for the best now

should be fine, for quite a few years, and as deluks says with the infill up to the tree

Sponsored Links
Hi,
i decided to put post a little away from large tree as suggested( this was much easier hole to dig!) . i have now about 1ft gap between post and tree to fill.

i would like to fill the gap with 6ft closeboard as best as possible.

i was planning on cutting back morticed post from 8ft to 7ft and putting in closeboard but there would still be slight gap because of tree. is it possible to attach,somehow, direct to tree, and have no gap at all.

below are photos

i am tempted to simply nail rails to tree , but not nailing standing post so as to allow movement from tree. would this work?

fix the rails to the tree, same as what i said a few years ago

thanks. i'll check out subject to find out how to attach. i have been using 75mm nails but not sure if these will be best way to secure.

Hi Thermo,
i have searched through but not found this. Thinking this through would it better to attach to tree with longish type of screw?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back