swarms of tiny flies in new turf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I put down a new lawn about a month ago. Despite the complete lack of rain I have managed to keep it alive. We were away for 2 weeks so got back and gave it a cut last night. I have two concerns:

1) Even on my highest stetting, I was probably cutting 50% of the length off the grass. However the grass is stil really long. I understand that if I've scalped it, I need to water it deeply. But...

IMG-20180712-WA0002_resized.jpg

2) When I was cutting it, swarms of tiny white flies or knats were coming out of the lawn. Pic of one attached. They were everywhere! it was a real pain - hundreds would fly up just from walking on the turf. The Internet tells me that over-watering the lawn can attract them.

20180712_172614_resized.jpg

So I don't know whether to stick or twist really - do I water or let it dry out for a few days? Any advice would be welcome.

Sponsored Links
I would keep trimming it. Don't know what the flies are but that looks like a fairly expensive job you have had done and letting it get parched will not do it any favours.
No idea what the flies are or what to do about them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back