How to make your turf look like Wembley !

Depends how much effort you want to put in, and how much money you want to spend.....

Re turfing and treating on rubbish soil is papering over the cracks, if the soil is no good.

At my old house, I dug the lot out, put drainage in, new top soil, and new turf.
It was spot on.
Then we moved.

Sponsored Links
I've got a robot lawn mower. It's fantastic, it took me an hour to mow the lawn each and every week (spring to autumn), now it doesn't.

The rest of the lawn care, taking, weeding, feeding etc. doesn't take that long and you only need to do it now and again.

I've got a robot lawn mower. It's fantastic, it took me an hour to mow the lawn each and every week (spring to autumn), now it doesn't.

The rest of the lawn care, taking, weeding, feeding etc. doesn't take that long and you only need to do it now and again.
how loud are they? never heard or seen one myself, but talking to a relative who's neighbour has just got one, they sound pretty anti-social things whirring away remorselessly 20 hours a week. I know normal mowers are noisy but they're only on half hour a week

how loud are they? never heard or seen one myself, but talking to a relative who's neighbour has just got one, they sound pretty anti-social things whirring away remorselessly 20 hours a week. I know normal mowers are noisy but they're only on half hour a week
It's not on the same level as a full sized lawn mower, but it's not silent. I might find a sound meter app and see just how loud it really is if people care.

In general they need to run frequently, but it may be for 30 mins every other day to 1.5 hours every day depending on how big your lawn is. Mines around 200m^2 and it tends to go out most nights for an hour and a half.

If you don't have pets (so no poo to pick up) or trees that constantly drop branches (which I do) then the normal thing is to set it on a timer to go every day around dusk. Minimal disruption to you or your neighbors. I do a poo and stick sweep each night then set mine off manually. Edit: fun fact, dry dog poos mostly survive the mowing process without being scattered too much or making a mess of the mower, although that may depend on the size of your dog and its diet.

My personal suggestions: if you have a big lawn then get one with a LiOn battery, lead acids take too long to charge. If you're using a schedule you probably also want a rain sensor. They don't handle lumpy lawns well, but that might be my one (Robomow RX20).

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
We have a Flymo 1200 R robotic mower and it's very silent. We had some of the family round last summer and the first they knew was when 'Dave' trundled out of his charger and started doing his stuff on the other lawn.
Set to run 3 times a week and parks itself when it's finished or getting low on battery.
Your lawn does need to be fairly smooth though with no ruts or big bumps otherwise it may ground itself. It will also mow an incline up to about 30 degrees I think.
They are pass code protected and alarmed so if someone steals it they will not get it to work without the 4 digit code.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back