Lawn dying

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2 years ago I laid a turf lawn, turf was from B&Q but I bought it when they had a full pallet of it so it was fresh.

Anyway, part of the lawn is flourishing, needs cutting every week or so, and it looks great. No weeds either.

Part of the lawn never gets any sunshine, and is dying. I raked it well after mowing today and there are tufts of nice green grass, but between it was brown dying grass, which I have raked away leaving bare earth.

Is there a type of grass that is good for shade? I don't mind sowing seeds if there's a type of grass that would do well. I have tried weed n feed but no improvement.

Or should I cut my losses and concrete it!

Sponsored Links
In my experience, grass which gets no shade will tend to wither and die whatever you do to it.

What is causing the shade/lack of sun?

Hmmm....not sure if that's just lack of sun.

What's behind the fence?

Is the ground damp/soggy?

Sponsored Links
Hmmm....not sure if that's just lack of sun.

What's behind the fence?

Is the ground damp/soggy?

Before i re-landscaped the garden the area was laid to concrete but immediately adjacent to the coal shed right in the corner here was unmade but stained very black with coal dust. I did dig down and turn the soil over before turfing.

The ground isn't soggy. It drains well. There is a wall behind the fence. Don't ask.

Just wondered if something else was causing the issue that's all.

By all means try Andy's suggestion and see if it works.

As an aside, there is a very good site (below) which gives info on lawns and lawn care. You may find it useful (I did!)

http://www.lawn-craft.co.uk/

Regards,

B

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back