Lawn in need of miracle!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have any ideas on how to give a new lawn a boost before the Winter. Recently moved into new house with 4 foot weeds so strimmed and left in situ for 2 weeks. When I removed this weekend the lawn is all patchy etc. Thought the dying weeds would help green the grass through on site composting! Anyway all raked up now, have mowed to even remaining grass, set out new grasss seed but is there anything else. Any greening agent/fertiliser that would be suitable. In Ireland and weather is still pretty mild so would love to do what I can before the really cold weather sets in.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
This is a good time of year to do lawn renovation. Weather has not yet got too chilly, so you've still got a bit of time.

Your mowing might have shocked the lawn a bit. Grass isn't too keen on being cut back too much at once.

Some very general advice to get the process going:

I'd give the lawn a good going over with a scarifier (basically aggressively rake up all the dead bits of grass/weed). This helps to get air and water down into the soil.

Take a garden fork and stick it right down into the soil, every foot or so. This is tedious and hard work! This helps to get air and water down into the root zone.

Work out the size of your lawn (in square metres). Buy a bag of lawn feed, weed & moss killer and apply it over the lawn at the recommended doseage. Make sure you get stuff that's suitable for Autumn application (low in Nitrogen).

Lawn might look a bit sorry for itself following the above, but it's a good start. You can then leave it to settle over Winter and get cracking in Feb/March.

Is it a very large lawn?

Just thinking, have you considered replacing it? This is usually a lot cheaper than many people think!

would agree after 5 years of trying to revive an old knackered lawn, finally gave up dug it up rotavated and re-turfed look lovely, but the bloody thing won't stop growing, cutting it twice a week at the moment

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. Will give it a go with the lawn feed etc. Should be fun sticking the lawn with a fork. It seems ot be standard practice in new Irish estates that all the crap such as styrofoam etc etc gets put under peoples lawns. Who knows what I might encounter. Will give it til Spring and if no joy will just turf it... though the neighbours seem to have a decent lawn...

Thanks again

Cormac said:
It seems ot be standard practice in new Irish estates that all the rubbish such as styrofoam etc etc gets put under peoples lawns. Who knows what I might encounter.

Believe me it is just the same over here. I'm sure the builders do it for a laugh :evil:

post locked to prevent hi jacking

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back