do u know where to get 6ft plywood sheets from?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i am having round catering style tables made that will seat 10 people. where can i find 6ft pylwood sheets in the west london area? 4ft sheets are max i can find also what thickness will be best suited?
Please help!!!

desperate housewife x

Sponsored Links
You won't have much luck, Even large press plywood only comes 5ftx10ft. If you could use MFC(melamine faced chipboard) or "conti" board which will be easier to clean then that can be got in Ivory 2800x2070mm.

Thickness will depend on what you are supporting the table on and what sort of weight you expect it to hold. I would have thought 18mm minimum, 25mm would be better.

http://www.richardrussell.co.uk/view_stock.cfm?sec=12

Jason

a round table to seat 10 people at 6ft would give you app 19ft or 22" each person

at 5ft it would give you app 15.5"per person so not enough
could you not try a 7x5 oval or
2x 12mm 10x5 sheets at 90%to each other with the bit cut of the long edge placed to the side to pad it out to 6 ft screwed and glued together or indeed just glued

now i realise joins arnt ideal but needs must and if done propely will be smooth and a feature a bit of caricter ;)

Firstly I'd avoid MFC or MF-MDF unless it is a one-shot use because of the edge chipping which always occurs with melamine faced boards - when they are handled or transported they end up looking ropey in no time flat. I've CNC machined tops like this a couple of times and MDF has the advantage of being relatively cheap to manufacture and repaints cheaply. Raw MDF is in fact available in a limited range of thicknesses up to about 12 x 6ft (3660 x 1830) as a stock size, but the problem is that the weight may well be excessive. An 18mm sheet of MDF weighs circa 80 kg, so a 6ft diameter table top would weigh in at around 35 kg, before you painted it. The other problem is that at that size you'd need to brace the tops as they will tend to sag under their own weight if not adequately supported, so the support frameworks will need some careful thought. On the handling side alone I'd tend to agree with big_all that a jointed solution might be better - a 6ft diameter top will prove to be a problem to manhandle through doors of premises and will probably require a Luton van at least to carry it.

Scrit

Sponsored Links
thinking a bit deeper about this table :LOL:

is it perminant [as in house moves only ] or is it supposed to be mobile!!!!!
if the later is the case i would expect a square base of 3ft 10" ish perminantly formed with a 6ft top hinged down or with a detachable joint in the middle to be the most practicle solution

a bit more info would allow us to give a more comprehensive solution
but whatever happens a framework is definatly required underneath both for support and strength reasons

locked to prevent hi jacking

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back