Do unvented cylinders work in a power cut?

^^ Assuming you hadn't run out of petrol coz the petrol station electricity supply had stopped a week ago.

Always the optimist, me. :(

Sponsored Links
I would plug the power lead that goes to the boiler electrics into a generator and have heating and hot water without mains electricity.

I was going to make this exact point. I lived outside of town for a several years and had relatively frequent power cuts. A small generator kept my combi working and I could also watch TV.

Sponsored Links
^^^ To be honest, it was that article that brought the topic to my attention and prompted my original question.

Utility companies have good disaster and emergency procedures, including nominated workers and backup locations, and they have strategic stockpiles and distributed depots. They even have PMR because mobile phones may stop working.

Since this is done by the utility companies, I don't think it has been neglected and cut back like the NHS.

I have to beg to differ. Working for one, and they are currently panicking. As for neglect, everything is about lowest possible cost. Engineers are having to seek senior management approval to spend £100 on an essential repair at present.

My heat only boiler was a god send when a large fire damaged overhead cables and we had power cuts. Soon as it was on i popped the hot water on so we had water. The issue was a big one but the power company installed temp generators at the substation in the end quite quickly when realising the scale of the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back