Do you believe that extra terrestrial life exists?

Sponsored Links
We could reach a neighboring galaxy (and I'm talking completely theoretical travel speeds, with associated technology) but not another galaxy in a different gravitational pocket.

I guess on the upside; you now know about the stuff outside the local group, someone in the far future will not know this and think the universe ends or is empty beyond the local group.

So am I to understand that even if we could travel at the speed of light that we would never arrive at the next galaxy group because of the never ending expansion of the universe? That's an interesting thought and not something I'd ever considered. I didn't think galaxies were that far apart

No, the nearest Galaxy (Andromeda) is actually moving towards us.

Yes extra terrestrial life must exist due to the vast numbers of Galaxies/Stars ( about 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 Stars in the observable universe. )

But we will never meet, even a journey to the nearest Star (Proxima Centauri) at 25,000 mph would take 75,000 years.

Sponsored Links
I'll also note that the local group, even though it's about 10,000,000 light years across, is 0.00000000001% of the observable universe.

But the local group really is it, it's the only thing that humanity will ever be a part of.

I know enuff about physics to know that we know nothing about physics. I know enuff about the universe to know that we know nothing about the universe.

I used to think that the only truth that we can prove is up is up, left & right, & down is down. Then you get into things like chaos theory & fractal math.

We think we know everything & there is nothing left to discover. We know nothing.

The only truth I have found so far, is you were born on one day & one day you will die . . . And flat roofs leak.

I can chew the cud with some of the greatest minds this world has ever produced, but I cannot bear to talk with folk who have closed their minds & deny that 'anything' is possible, because we simply do not know.

I know enuff about physics to know that we know nothing about physics. I know enuff about the universe to know that we know nothing about the universe.

I used to think that the only truth that we can prove is up is up, left & right, & down is down. Then you get into things like chaos theory & fractal math.

We think we know everything & there is nothing left to discover. We know nothing.

The only truth I have found so far, is you were born on one day & one day you will die . . . And flat roofs leak.

I can chew the cud with some of the greatest minds this world has ever produced, but I cannot bear to talk with folk who have closed their minds & deny that 'anything' is possible, because we simply do not know.
I concur to an extent i've only learnt the more ive learnt the more i realise we know fck all.

Radio waves for example, they are all around us, yet we don't see hear or feel them. Yet they are there. What else is around us we have no idea about.

And i believe if intelligent life form came here im not sure they would start with the Americans ;)

Maybe there are others out there, (I believe there will be), and they are far more intelligent than us so they see us as a planet full of little bugs that are slowly destroying this planet and have decided we are not worth communicating with. Every so often they send a scouting party to see if we have come to our senses.

No, the nearest Galaxy (Andromeda) is actually moving towards us. Yes extra terrestrial life must exist due to the vast numbers of Galaxies/Stars ( about 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 Stars in the observable universe. ) But we will never meet, even a journey to the nearest Star (Proxima Centauri) at 25,000 mph would take 75,000 years.
That's incredible when you think of the numbers like that!!! - So is the universe infinite or finite?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll also note that the local group, even though it's about 10,000,000 light years across, is 0.00000000001% of the observable universe.
But the local group really is it, it's the only thing that humanity will ever be a part of.
Is the universe infinite and ever expanding or is it finite and measurable?

And i believe if intelligent life form came here im not sure they would start with the Americans ;)

I like to think that intelligent, alien lifeforms are all around us all the time. Actually, using the word 'intelligent' is superfluous, if they've travelled here by means we don't understand, from a place we cannot fathom, then by the very definition they are much more intelligent than us.

Cats are my prime suspects. Closely followed by anyone watching the tellyvisuals at peak times . . .

Talking of the universe, this blows my mind.
It's mind blowing/bending/expanding - awe inspiring and thought provoking - very good little clip!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the universe infinite and ever expanding or is it finite and measurable?

We don't know for sure, we don't know why the groups are separating at a rate that's accelerating.

Observable universe is about 46.5 billion light years radius sphere. It's not "observable" in that we have detected things out that far; but is set by our current understanding of physics and the speed of light. Any object farther away from us than light could travel in the age of the universe (estimated 13.7 billion years) simply cannot be detected, as nothing could have reached us yet.

Sponsored Links
Back