Do you need to be qualified to replace CU

mpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya Guys my old man just been on the phone and asked me to find out if being a qualified electrician is enough to be changing CU or do you need to be part p registered etc

cheers

Sponsored Links
from looking at those booklets it appears that they do not need to be qualified as its a replacement

No, changing like for like is only allowed providing there is no change in the characteristics. It is indended so you could change, for instance, a broken lightswitch in a kitchen without having to notify.

I imagine that he has an older type fuseboard and wants to put in a modern 'split load' type board.

Everything in that board is different. evry circuit will have a different characteristic because a B type BS60898 contact breaker behave differently to a BS3036 rewireable fuse.

Changing a consumer unit is a heart & lung replacement for a house and is notifiable under Building Regulations Part P.

Sponsored Links
Not so. A full inspection and test is required and an electrical installation certificate should be issued.

It is also, definitely, a notifiable job, so you must either submit and pay for a Building Notice in advance, or have it done by a registered contractor.

(Edit: TTC got in while I was chucking my spollink!)

Changing a consumer unit is a heart & lung replacement for a house
Please stop the hyperbole

now maybe if you were only allowed to isolate for half an hour and had to connect to crumbling VIR without any shorts it would be comparable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back