Do you really need to insulate between the rafters ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm going to be insulating my loft and I am wondering do I need to insulate between the rafters if I'm already insulating in between and over the joices to 300mm ?

Any feed back would be appreciative

Sponsored Links
Insulating between both joists and rafters is a total waste of time and money.

Sponsored Links
To expand on that last thought.

If you insulate the ceiling with 300 mm then very little heat will get through and there is therefore no point in expending money and effort to insulate the rafters trying to conserve that small amount of energy which will in any case serve very little purpose in a loft.

even if the loft is being used a habi room?

Think about it .... why would you want rafter insulation to insulate a cold loft?

Insulate the used parts of the property via insulation at ceiling level, and leave the loft cold

even if the loft is being used a habi room?

Then you would look at insulating between and under the rafters to comply with the u-values. Insulation at ceiling (which would then become the new floor) wouldn't therefore be essential but some acoustic insulation would be recommended to provide the necessary sound reduction between bedrooms, etc...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back