Do you recommend Push Fit Copper Fittings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My water company recently came to replace my Water Meter and the plumber used all push fit copper fittings. He told me they couldn't solder joints anymore because the water company insists that after soldering a joint they have to watch it for an hour afterwards to make sure nothing catches fire !!

Can you believe it

Anyway, I need to do some work on my central heating system, and think I might use push fit copper myself. Since they are now taking the fully pressure of my incoming supply, they should be ideal for central heating too. Plus I won't have to watch them for an hour afterwards

Do any of you like or use these fittings?

Sponsored Links
Would you rather rely on a soldered joint or an O ring in the long term?

If you're talking Tectite Sprint, it's ok but you have to be very careful as it's quite easy to displace the o-ring when you're inserting the pipe Intuit the fitting. Do that and you have to cut it in out as they aren't demountable

No, the only time I use any push fit is for temporary stop ends or adding a temporary drain to flush pipes, I always solder. O-rings break down and can be damaged if burrs not removed from pipes.

Sponsored Links
Would you rather rely on a soldered joint or an O ring in the long term?
Soldered joints are very dependent on skill level of whoever soldered .
Soldered joints that fall apart in your hands are far from unknown.
As has been said tectite sprint good but need care, tectite classic brass fitting but can be taken apart.
Not really a DIY option but we have switched almost totally onto press fittings.

Soldered joints are very dependent on skill level of whoever soldered .
Soldered joints that fall apart in your hands are far from unknown.
As has been said tectite sprint good but need care, tectite classic brass fitting but can be taken apart.
Not really a DIY option but we have switched almost totally onto press fittings.
Agree that soldered joints are dependent on being soldered correctly. But i'd much rather rely on a correctly soldered joint in the long term than a correctly fitted pushfit joint.

Last edited:
My water company recently came to replace my Water Meter and the plumber used all push fit copper fittings. He told me they couldn't solder joints anymore because the water company insists that after soldering a joint they have to watch it for an hour afterwards to make sure nothing catches fire !!

Can you believe it

Anyway, I need to do some work on my central heating system, and think I might use push fit copper myself. Since they are now taking the fully pressure of my incoming supply, they should be ideal for central heating too. Plus I won't have to watch them for an hour afterwards

This is for insurance purposes
and is true.

Can you imagine what a customer would say to me if I said I'd be charging them for this hour of me sitting around

Did some work for English Heritage quit a few years ago, no hot works allowed in the roof space.

Did some work on some estate-owned houses in Devon as an apprentice. They forgot to tell us, or the boss didn't notice, that no hot works were permitted anywhere inside any of their buildings. They went nuts when they came to inspect and saw soldered joints everywhere. We weren't invited back.

O rings in push fit joints might last 20 years, but when they leak, water damage is a real,issue. Our previous house used push fittings, and one leaked above the kitchen ceiling. To locate the actual leak, I had to cut out four sections of the ceiling - of course, the water had flowed a long way from the leak before coming through. Then I had to:
fix the leaking joint.
replace the plaster board.
plaster.
paint.

Luckily, I was home at the time and therefore spotted the leak before too much damage had occurred, but had I been away.........

So not really a good option, since you have the prospect of redecorating a room and replacing ruined furniture, carpets, possessions etc. when one lets go.

A total PITA and totally unecessary, had proper soldered copper joints been used.

A pity that insurance companies don't allow flame made joints - aren't plumbers all qualified these days, and therefore should know how to take precautions and be safe with blowtorches. There are electric flameless pipe joint heaters, like a large soldering iron with shaped jaws for the specific diameter of pipe - I've got one.

Can you believe it

Totally standard condition for hot working on commercial premises for years, your house becomes a workplace when he's there working so same conditions apply.
Not used pushfit copper but have used pushfit placcie (mostly JG), they have their limitations. Generally I won't use them if they are not going to be easily accessible for repair in the finished room. Same as I won't use compression fittings in inaccessible locations. Removable pushfit are brilliant for temporary capping of pipes, for running temporary supplies (eg to a toilet and basin during a refit so house remains habitable), for planning ahead for future works (I will at some stage have an ensuite off the main bedroom. Pipework is all in ready to go capped with pushfit, ensuite is a few years away yet).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back