Dodgy builder demanding money!

:LOL: And I shall continue to try and hide my foolishness! ;)

Sponsored Links
Well you could simply keep it in the shadow of your humility and modesty, and then nobody will ever see it :)

<edited to remove a ludicrously spurious "y" from the end of the word "ever" :oops: >

Softus said:
I do see your point, and you're right, but my [subtle] point is that the OP doesn't have a VAT problem. He can rightfully claim that any money paid out includes a VAT component, because it's illegal for a VAT registered trader to charge any money without including VAT.

I think we're actually making two different points, so I'll hereby retract my assertion that your advice was wrong and/or bad, and apologise for misunderstanding you.

Hi "softus"

The problem I had with upvc window manufacturer/supplier/fitter was that having negotiated the contract. I signed the contract and paid a deposit of 20%. 80% to be paid on completion. Work started 8 weeks late then he sub contracted window fitting to pair of cowboys.

The damage they did to my property was terrible. I was left with work half done and the mess. I had enough of this guy and took it up with local CAB. They sort advice on my behalf from Trading standards whilst I was there.

CAB and trading standards work together on complex issues. I didn't pay another penny to this builder. He dare go to a lawyer. He tried other avenues i.e got his accountant to claim off me. He then wrote to me that I owe him money. He failed on each count. CAB and trading standards gave me advice and incentive to fight this dam cowboy. So my contribution on this issue is not rubbish.

It is rubbish, because Trading standards do not tell you exactly what you should do in the circumstance you are in.

Oh, and yours is not a complex issue - you did not legally retain any money because of his workmanship - you retained it because the job was not complete, which was an express term of the contract.

This is vastly different to the scenario for the OP on this topic, so if you want to discuss yours further then you need to create a new topic and stop hijacking this one.

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
It is rubbish, because Trading standards do not tell you exactly what you should do in the circumstance you are in.

Oh, and yours is not a complex issue - you did not legally retain any money because of his workmanship - you retained it because the job was not complete, which was an express term of the contract.

This is vastly different to the scenario for the OP on this topic, so if you want to discuss yours further then you need to create a new topic and stop hijacking this one.

Hi "Softus"

NONSENSE! FULL STOP.

Basecoat said:
FULL STOP.
Ah, now I see your point. The eloquence of your argument truly has shined the twinkling light of celestial awareness upon my ignorance. Verily, you reveal me for the babbling fool that I am, and mortal words alone cannot express the peals of gratitude that echo from the aching fathoms of my soul.

Wardster, this comes down to your own personality, wether you really wan't the hassle or not, personally I would not pay the man, I would in fact bill him for the extra work you've had done because of his poor workmanship.
I had a similar problem once, I had a quote off a guy to have a paddock levelled and re-seeded, I was happy with the quote (£350) so told him to go ahead. He started having problems when he realised there was lots of rubble in the ground, cutting a long story short he finished the work and told me to pay him £800. I said no, the agreed price was £350, he went on about it being more of a job than he first thought, I said thats not my problem you should have inspected the ground before quoting. He got angry and started shouting off "I will get my money, mate and I'll come and get it personally". So I told him that he'd just blown his chance of getting any money at all, and if he wants to come round and argue the point he's more than welcome or I would even be prepared to go and see him at HIS HOME to discuss.
I never saw or heard from him again. :LOL:

Yes, but with reflection I s'pose you would have it easy to stand up to him.

I've found out that most people that shout about being tough, really aren't.
Its the ones that you don't expect to be tough, that can be pretty nasty.
Saying that, It didn't happen that way once, I did confront a loudmouth scarface a long time ago, and he did back his words up :eek: we both ended up in hospital and are good mates now :rolleyes:

Dammit stric, we had a good thing going there and you went and got all serious :eek:

I'm sure you'll find it funny when I tell you that I was in hospital with a very mashed face, he was in hospital because of a very broken hand :oops: (and sore gonads ;) )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back