Dodgy Builders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a friend who has had some building work done. When the job was nearly finished the builder gave her a final invoice which was for £4000 more than they had agreed and said that he hadnt included the roof in the first quotation. When asked why he hadnt discussed this beofre he replyed that he had "verbaly agreed it" with either her or her partner but couldnt remember which. Obviously they are refusing to pay it, they know the builder under estimated the job as there was a mix up with steel quotes but thats his problem surely and not my mates?? He sent a letter last July saying he was going to file a complaint for the rest of money but they havent heard a thing since. They are planning on selling up and want to know where they wood stand, do ya think he was trying it on???

Sponsored Links
Sad, Sad, Sad.

Even the builders who aren't crooks are often very bad at paperwork. And this one was obviously also bad at agreeing Changes.

Did the original quote specify the work to be done, and was the roof included in the work (either explicitly "build a trussed roof with nn type felt and nn type tiles) or implicitly (build a 2-storey extension...).

If yes, then it is the builder's own stupid fault. It it wasn't included, and was added on to the original scope of work, then he is entitled to be paid "a reasonable amount" for it which might take arbitration; or he might consider himself lucky to get anything at all.

I am a Project Manager by trade, and one of the many important things to get right is Change Control (the original contract is X amount of work to Y specification to be completed by Z date for N amount of money; anything different has to be priced and agreed) Otherwise a great deal of financial loss and ill feeling can be guaranteed.

Funnily enough, when the Supplier is good at Change Control and the Customer isn't, the Supplier can make a lot of extra money.

I prefer to act for the Customer.

P.S. When I saw the title "Dodgy Builders" I thought I was looking at the Sits Vac column ;)

and modest too :oops: some would call your Trade a Profession ;) Good to have you on board

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back