dodgy extension floor !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey there ..... there was looking for some advice i noticed cracks in my bathroom floor (downstairs extension) i also noticed sum tiles had cracked in the kitchen next room along (also part of the extension) the floor underneath was cracking and coming off with the tile adhesive
some one told me it looks like a botch job and they have only filled it and leveled it with bricks rather than proper concrete foundations... and advised me to dig down a bit and see ..... i just wanted to see what a few people think before i go digging :evil: and if this is the case whats the next step? :confused:

Sponsored Links
bobbybee,

You appear to have a brick sub-base blinded with bitumen/asphalt, and a powdered ( thin-set ) adhesive.

That floor was never passed by BCO.

You have an uneven sub-surface, hence, no matter what, the tile will crack due to uneven pressure.

Also, moisture is coming up thro the bricks.

You will have to dig out, and pour a concrete slab - come back here if you want further advice.

ok i lifted all the tiles up and it seems like its concrete but there's bad damp and 3 large cracks across it ??

any ideas is it moving or are they 3 separate bits of concrete ?? :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back