Dodgy Extractor Wiring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After replacing an extractor fan in the bathroom last week, it seems the wiring for the old one was not connected to the lighting circuit as the fan in the ensuite is. The new one (no timer) works purely from the existing fans wiring from a rocker switch mounted on the wall next to it (albeit it quite high up).

Does this seem like illegal wiring bearing in mind the apartment is only 6 years old?

To get round this I want to put a wall mounted pull switch in the rocker switches place. Does seem viable and has anyone got any idea where i may purchase one?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Where is the big switch fed from? When does the fan work? Where theres a fan isolating switch I'd expect it to work from the lighting circuit, when the big light is on. ;) You shouldn't ever have to touch the fan isolating switch in normal use.

The fan switch seems to be fed from the main loop as it is independent of the light switch. I realise the use of the isolating switch as a sort of "maintenance switch".

how did the old fan work before it went faulty, i.e did it come on with the ceiling light or did it maybe be an automatic humidi-stat fan which only needed a permenant supply

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the old fan was a Humidistat fan, and if the bathroom has a window then there is no need for it to work with the light.

Isolation switch better outside bathroom though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back