Extractor fan issues.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having trouble trying to get a new extractor fan working. The old fan needed replacing and was fitted in 2000 when the house was built. The old fan has two wires, both black going to a live and a neutral. The isolator switch is wall mounted and is inside the bathroom.
The new extractor fan has a timer and has 3 connections which are L,N and L1. The problem is I only have two wires, as explained, a red and a blue. I have tried the red in the L and then in the L1 and the blue always in the N but the fan does not work.
Do I need to remove the isolator switch to outside the room and also where can I run the third L or L1 wire from? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Link L and L1 together and connect line to them and connect neutral to N
then your fan will run as the old one did (no overun timer)
if you want the timer to work then you will need to run another cable in
if you're lucky the existing cable may be 3 core & earth with a core cut out
what colour are the cores?

The cable only has a live, brown, a neutral, blue and the earth.

How do I link the L and the L1 together?

the newer fan is probably a timed unit which will stay on for a set period after turning the switch off. The L input is for a permanent live feed (not switched from the wall isolator) so that when the wall switch is off, there is still power to the unit untill the internal timer decides to swwitch the fan off.

Just use a small length of insulated wire to link from L to L1, it is irrelivant which input the live feed goes into provided the short link cable is suitable gauge.

Sponsored Links
Fantastic. Thank you so much for your help to get that working.

If I wanted to get the timer working then I take it I would have to take a third cable from somewhere? I have a light socket outside the ensuite door, could I run a spur off that do you think? :D

Either that or form the ceiling rose - whichever is easier but preferably the rose as that will be from where the present cable is run, ideally a whole new length of three-core + earth.

In either case you take the new wire from the permanent live connection.

Just noticed you said light 'socket' outside the door - I assume you mean switch. Above still applies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back