Dodgy tiles - who's liable for what?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had 300x600mm rectified porcelain tiles installed as part of a bathroom refit. Once the tiles were grouted by the installer (yes, I paid someone to lay the tiles for me) I could see that most of the tiles have a convex bow of up to about 3mm at the centre.

The contrasting depths of tile surfaces throw shadows that make the wall look messy and amateurish. My tile supplier happily says lots of his tiles are bowed, but that as long as they stay within the tolerances of BS6431 (up to 0.5% convex bow, or 3mm in this case), he has no liability. The tile installer says he thought the tiles were supposed to be like that. The bow is very difficult to notice prior to installation.

I feel completely lost and that my only options are 1) feel angry every time I ever walk into my bathroom for evermore, or 2) remove the tiles, replace/repair the new stud wall they’re stuck to, buy new tiles and install them. Is there any other option?

If I get all the tiles off and find just one is bowed more than 0.5%, is the tile supplier liable to pay for all the remedial work that this one substandard tile has caused, or just liable to replace that one tile?

Any suggestions gratefully received - but please don't tell me this is what I get for not installing the tiles myself - I'm already beating myself up about that!

Sponsored Links
any chance you could supply a photo?

dont beat yourself up over the tiler, im sure he did a good enough job with the tiles supplied.

just out of interest which tile store says that?

the only misshapen tiles i ever put up are handmade, and jesus are they bad in most cases.

Jef

Jeff thanks. Supplier is Europeanheritage, Fulham. Will send photo either tonight or tomorrow morning.
Ed

I could see that most of the tiles have a convex bow of up to about 3mm at the centre. The contrasting depths of tile surfaces throw shadows that make the wall look messy and amateurish. My tile supplier happily says lots of his tiles are bowed, but that as long as they stay within the tolerances of BS6431 (up to 0.5% convex bow, or 3mm in this case), he has no liability.

The 600mm measurment will come out at 3mm for 0.5% but at 300mm is only 1.5mm,which one do they use for their tolerances or is it which ever takes their fancy?

IMO if the supplier won't take responsiblity then I don't see that you can blame the tiler as you said yourself the fault was hard to spot prior to install.

If I get all the tiles off and find just one is bowed more than 0.5%, is the tile supplier liable to pay for all the remedial work that this one substandard tile has caused, or just liable to replace that one tile?
If you only find one tile over tolerance then I would think that will be all he is liable for.

Couldn't you use a spirit level in the face if them and see how convex their are?

Had a few convex tiles before but noticed them during install.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back