Does a bathroom need to be plastered if I'm fully tiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's all new plasterboard, so i gather I need to use moisture resistant board. It'll be flat already so do I need to plaster it or can I tile straight onto the board?

Sponsored Links
Use MR PB & just tile straight onto it, no need for plaster it’s not necessary & will drastically restrict tile weight. MR PB must be primed if you have any untilled areas your going to plaster. If your fixing PB using dot & dab, you should provide additional mechanical fixing back into the walls or it could all end up on the floor.

I would advise you read the Tiling Sticky & Forum Archive posts before doing any more work or buying materials, it could prevent you making disastrous & potentially expensive mistakes. There are many things to catch you out particularly if you also intend tiling a suspended timber floor. It’s important to use only quality trade tilling materials of the correct type for your tiles & tile base; cheapo own brand & DIY stuff is mostly crap.

Sponsored Links
Are you planning to put a shower in there ? If so, MR board throughout may not be the best solution.
Good point newbee, ;) unusual of me not to pick up on that.

If you use PB in wet areas it should be tanked if you want it to last; a better solution is to use waterproof tile backer board & tile straight onto that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back