Does a Danfoss 3 way valve work the same as H/well?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I suspect my dad's Danfoss 3 way valve is sticking or the actuator is faulty (after switching CH, HW etc on/off and watching the actuator).
I happen to have fairly new Honeywell 3 way valve left over when I had some work done on my house and I was wondering whether I could swap one for the other? I know the physical sizes are a bit different, but what I really mean is the electrical connections. Any advice gratefully received.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
sorry forgot to mention, the reason I think there is a problem with the valve is that he was not getting CH even though the programmer was calling for both DHW and CH. The valve moves a little but not far enough. If you manually open the valve all the way to CH only then release, the valve returns to mid position where it should have been all the time. If you switch back to HW only, then switch to DHW and CH the valve tries to mopve to mid position again but not quite far enough

most 3 port mid position valves use the same colours of wire for the same purpose. There is the 'white' ! power from the CH ON terminal on programmer goes to room stat, then from room stat to the 'white of the valve.( via the terminal box of course). When this is live it drives the motor and turns a quadrant until it reaches mid position where it triggers a microswitch and stops, unless power is there from a different source to take over.
There is the 'grey'! The power comes from the HW OFF terminal of the programmer and also from the satisfied terminal of the cylinder stat to feed the 'grey'. If HW is off or 'on but satisfied' the 'grey' is live and takes over from the white and drives the motor and quadrant from mid position to the CH only position.
There is the 'orange' Soon after passing mid position, the quadrant triggers a second microswitch, which allows power out from the actuator to fire up the boiler.

Because there is a electrical 'load' there has to be a 'neutral wire' and this is the 'blue'.
There will also be an 'earth' wire which will be 'green'
So the electrical connections will be the same if the colours are the same.
As far as I know you can't manually open the valve all the way, the lever is to hold the valve in the mid position for filling the system. The lever turns the quadrant against the return spring and can be held on the latch.
:rolleyes:

Danfoss is the same as Honeywell, except doesn't have the earth wire.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back