Does a FCU/socket combination exist?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hope someone can help. I have a conservatory which has two 2-gang sockets in in. The wires go through the wall into the house and attach to a standard 2-gang socket in the downstairs ring main (unfused). So a spur.

I have a mains powered light that is also in the consrvatory mounted to the wall. The wires from that disappear into the floor and used to pop up next to the first 2-gang socket and was plugged in.

I have now tiled the conservatory so have cut off the plug from the light and poked the wire into the first 2-gang socket box. I now need to connect it within the box.

I could connect it to the terminals inside the socket but then it would be unfused, so I believe I need a FCU to act in place of a plug but since it is a 2-gang socket, I have been looking for a new socket that has an FCU on one side to connect the light so it is fused and to leave a normal socket on the other half.

Does such an item exist. I've searched everywhere!!

Thanks Nigel

Sponsored Links
you could use a dual box as lazygit suggests but that will require enlarging the hole a bit.

you could also use get rocca modular though it is a little tricky to get hold of. I belive homebase do some prebuilt combinations of rocca modular under another name (the stuff homebase sell as rocca is the non modular rocca range) though I can't find them on thier website. You could dismantle theese and use the bits to build up your combination.

If I understand your post, if you use a dual box then the socket would be a spur and the FCU would be a spur off the spur & you cant do that.

The solution would be to use a dual box per the previous posts but add another cable through the wall and make the single socket part of the ring. The FCU that feeds the light could then be a spur off the single socket.

Sponsored Links
hi
thanks for the posts. hope the pic below helps explain?

the tiles are already cut and fixed so would be a pain to remove them to sink a bigger twin box in. wish i'd know beforehand. thanks lazygit.

picture.JPG

Taylortwocities, does the pic look like I shouldn't be allowed this or did I not explain it well enough?

thanks
Nigel
[/img]

Providing that, and only providing that, the single socket next to the FCU and also the twin socket on the left, are fed from the fused side of the FCU then that is OK as it will limit the spur from the ring to 13A max total

ebee is correct.

thats the only way of doing it without extra wiring.

By the way, the existing wiring does not conform as the second socket is a spur off a spur. Ebee's suggestion would make it street legal - we trust that these sockets are RCD protected as they can be used to power portable equipment outdoors......

Providing that, and only providing that, the single socket next to the FCU and also the twin socket on the left, are fed from the fused side of the FCU then that is OK as it will limit the spur from the ring to 13A max total

But the light should be fused down to less than 13A, no? And that's too low to be of practical utility for the downstream sockets. Perhaps need another FCU with a lower rating for the light?

Or reverse the adjacent FCU/socket so the socket is a spur from the ring (allowed), use an appropriately fused plug for the light, then run feed to 13A FCU and thence to the downstream socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back