Does a vent stack have to be completely vertical?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My main discharge stack in my bathroom is a couple of feet away from the wall and there is a 110mm vent stack going straight up into the loft. Because of this, quite a large part of the corner of the room is boarded up. I would like to create a bit more space and put a shelf in and wondered if i can remove the vent stack, put a couple of 45 degree bends in and relocate it right in the corner. Is that allowed?

Sponsored Links
You can do that but if its a typical situation then it will go up through the tiles and making a new exit will be additional work and require a good ladder or access platform.

It might be easier to put it outside but it does have to go up about 1m above the gutter and ideally have a birdcage on the top.

Tony

Yea... for the parrot !

i was going to ask the exact same question. Was looking to move my soil stack to the outside wall (actually in my garage). All the wet portion branches will pick up the stack here (appropriately distanced from each other as per regulations). Bend at bottom would take it back in to original drain location. Bend at top would take it back into house (so as not to impact bedroom above garage).

When guy from council came out and was asked for advice, he had no problem with bend at bottom back into drain (which I thought he would given that is where the 'soil' might cause a blockage) but insisted that the stack should go vertically straight up (i.e no bends). Given that the bend(s) above will be in the dry part of the stack surely this should not be a problem?

I cant see any regulations stating otherwise...most I can find is that it 'should' contain as few bends as possible but does not rule them out....especially given that the pipe (in this portion) is only going to be carrying air!?

Sponsored Links
I would wonder why you called anyone from the Council.

I am not aware of any regulation affecting bends in teh air part but...

Tony

As Tony states you can have bends above wet part of stack, often you get 3 or 4 45 angle bends to clear the soffat and guttering. Ensure that the 1m clearance is above all windows and re-entry points, just incase you have a velux in the loft fella....

The whole stack above the WC can be removed.

1. Fit in a 110mm Air admittance valve on the stack just above the washbasin height.

2. Fit HepVo traps on the bath and washbasin and do away with the stack above the wc. (this is usually the best option removing most of the stack).

You need an open vent to atmosphere if on the end of a sewer line or the 5th house. Check with council on this.

Has this stack got a valve on the top or is it open and venting into the loft :?: :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back